Philosophy 1111: Modern Developments
Dr T Dufresne
Answer the questions below in full essay format in the booklet provided. This exam is being graded out of 50
possible marks, and is worth 50% of your final grade. Good luck.
EXAM Preview with g
Founded the study of Psychoanalysis
- the discovery of an individuals underground
As a neurologist, Freud attempted to approach the unconscious through scientific discourse.
Like other late Romantics, he studied the particular over the u
If Rationalism was the thesis, Empiricism is the anti-thesis.
- the conflict between the two is resolved for Hegel
For Hegel, the truth of both is reflected in a synthesis that negates the two opposing ideas and
This reflection is ca
- not religious
- behind the appearance of things is a hidden order to the world
- materialists (things are other stuff)
- immaterialists (things are based on metaphysical properties, shapes, dimensions)
Metaphysics beyond the physical world