Chapter 05: Cultural Issues
1. Culture is defined as a groups shared:
a. race and ethnicity.
b. values, beliefs, and norms.
c. biologic variations and psychological characteristics.
d. patterned behavioral responses that developed over tim
Chapter 01: Me, Meds, Milieu
1. Select the best description of nursing practice in the psychiatric setting.
a. The nurse primarily serves in a supportive role to other members of the team.
b. The multidisciplinary approach eliminates the n
Chapter 10: Working with Groups of Patients
1. A psychiatric nurse clinician on an inpatient unit plans to lead a special-problems group for
withdrawn patients. Which information will be of most assistance as the nurse prepares for
Chapter 09: Working with an Individual Patient
1. A patient is hospitalized for severe depression. Knowing that the patient will be discharged
after a short stay, what is the nurses first priority?
Maximize the benefits of milieu managemen
Chapter 08: Learning to Communicate Professionally
1. Which skill is most important for a nurse preparing to work in the psychiatric setting?
a. Helpful transference
b. Sympathetic listening
c. Supportive confrontation
d. Therapeutic commu
Chapter 07: Models for Working with Psychiatric Patients
1. When interacting with patients, it is important for the nurse to recognize that defense
keep id impulses from gaining control.
protect the ego from excessive anxiety.
Chapter 06: Spiritual Issues
1. The patient says, I know Im very sick right now, but I trust that God will make me better.
Based on this statement, the nurse can assess the patients spirituality as being based in:
Chapter 04: Psychobiologic Bases of Behavior
1. When a nurse administers an anticholinergic drug, it is important to assess for symptoms
associated with inhibition of:
spinal nerve function.
the central nervous system.
the sympathetic nerv
Chapter 03: Legal Issues
1. Considering that a state uses the MNaghten Rule when an individual is on trial for a crime,
what would be most important to document for a nurse caring for a patient who will soon be
tried on murder charges?
Chapter 02: Historical Issues
1. A person says, Now that many state hospitals are closed, patients with psychiatric problems
are free in our community. It is not safe for me. The nurses reply should be based on