- 1. A description of the behavior you noticed.
- 2. You give the other person two possible interpretations of the behavior you noticed.
- 3. You request clarification about how to interpret the behavior.
- A step beyond perception checking is:
All languages have the same basic qualities.
Language is Symbolic
Words are arbitrary symbols that have no means in themselves
Once you learn the symbols the connection is strong, even if you alter a symbol
Language is Rule Governed
Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016
- Compliments are a part of identity management
- People like compliments that reinforce self-concept.
- If a compliment goes against out self concept, we ten to reject it.
- If someone compliments us something we never consi
- Supporting: When you trying to show the other person that you are on their side, that you feel
solidarity with them.
- Analyzing: When you trying offering an interpretation of the situation.
- Evaluating: When you appraise (good/bad) the sender's though
- Share Multiple Feelings: We are feeling more than one emotion because there are layers
of experiences coming into play.
- Recognize the difference between feeling and acting: Just because you feel like you
want to run and hide doesn't mean you need to o
- 6F: We organize all sorts of things we are just focusing on those most
connected to interpersonal communication. (Called Punctuation)
- Punctuation is like interpersonal which came first, the chicken or the egg. So
there isn't a right or wrong a
People find medication to help
Anti Depressants take 6 weeks to work
Person may need to try several to find the right one
Therapist can offer behavior changes
Can be treated short term/long term
Chapter 8 Emotions
- There are no positive or negative emo
- Circumscribing: Communication between the partners decreases in quantity and quality
- Stagnation: There is no growth in the relationship and the couple falls into patterns
- Avoiding: Relationship becomes unbearable and couple actively works to avoid e
1. All behavior has communicative value: We are always communicating you can not
communicate. Which means we do a lot of our communication through verbals.
2. Nonverbal communication is primarily relational: Messages have two levels of meaning,
- Regardless of the type of listening, most of us do not have good listening skills.
- Because we assume we can naturally listen because we can naturally hear.
- The cause of poor listening is:
- Not Concentrating: This is due to a phenomenon known as spa
Study Guide for Argumentation Final Exam
For this exam you will need an 882-E SCANTRON. The test will consist of 50
multiple choice/true-false questions worth two (2) points each for a total of 100 points.
Concepts you should be familiar with for the exam
The major determinant of whether communications are ethical or unethical is found in the notion
of choice. It is assumed that individuals have a right to make their own choices. Interpersonal
communications are ethical to the extent that the
Argumentation Study Guide for the Midterm Exam
For this exam you will need scantron 882-E. The test will consist of 50 multiple
choice/true-false questions, each worth 2 points (100 points).
You should be familiar with the following concepts for the exam.
Arguments to be Toulminized
Example: Twelve hours ago, the patient fell from a motor scooter and had a severe blow to the
head accompanied by a deep scalp wound. He is pale, dizzy, lethargic, and has a low fever. The
treatment strongly recommended include
Examine each statement one at a time in your group. You are not to discuss whether the
statement is true but what evidence it would take to convince you that the statement is true.
The important part of this exercise is not your conclusi
Raising the min wage is counterproductive
o Oren Cass (Senior Fellow, Manhattan Institute NY Times Sep. 10 2015)
But simply mandating that employers pay more is a clumsy and potentially
counterproductive way to help the poor. Although some workers ga
1. Higher Min Wage does little to reduce poverty
a. David Neumark Feb 9 2013 Prof. Economics @ UCI NY Times
Research also supports that the Earned-Income Tax Credit provides greater
support to low-income families than does the minimum wage. Most stu
a. Most MW workers are older and better trained:
Arindrajt Dube Nov 30 2013 (Prof. of Econ @ U Mass) New York
Of course, if most minimum wage workers were middle-class teenagers, many of
us might shrug off concerns about their wages, sin
246 Joann St. Costa Mesa, CA 92626
I have just completed my second year at Fullerton College. I am pursuing a major in
Sociology, and I have maintained a 3.6 GPA while working a job and being a member o