STUDY GUIDE - METZGER, CHAPTER 2
1. Compare and contrast the Pharisees and the Sadducees.
2. What were the duties of the scribes?
3. Identify the significance of the following:
STUDY GUIDE - METZGER, CHAPTER 4
1. What are the Jewish sources for the life of Jesus?
2. What are the pagan sources which refer to Jesus?
3. What is the relationship among Matthew, Mark, and Luke?
4. What are the characteristics of each of the gospels?
OUTLINES OF THE GOSPELS
The Infancy Narrative (1:12:23)
Book I - The Conduct of the Church (3:17:29)
The 1st Narrative: The Inauguration of the Kingdom (3:14:25)
The 1st Discourse: The Sermon on the Mount (5:17:29)
Book II The Commis
STUDY GUIDE - METZGER, CHAPTER 5
1. What are the dates of the birth of Jesus and his ministry?
2. What is the meaning of the baptism of Jesus?
3. What is the meaning of the temptations of Jesus?
4. What are the geographical sections of Palestine in the ti
Synoptics and John
The GOSPEL OF JOHN
Chiefly concerned with Jesus ministry
in the north, around Galilee
Gives more coverage to Jesus ministry
in the south, around Judea
Much emphasis on the kingdom
More emphasis on the
THE BASIC CHARACTERISTICS OF EACH OF THE GOSPELS
The Gospel of Matthew
Authorship: The book is anonymous. The word Matthew is not part of book. There is no
indirect claim of authorship; there is no reference to an author. Early tradition relates the book
STUDY GUIDE - METZGER, CHAPTER 7
1. When we talk about the apostolic age, what years are we talking about?
A.D. 30 to A.D. 100
2. What is our primary source of information for the apostolic age?
The New Testament
3. What is our chief source of informati
From Interpreting the New Testament
By Daniel J. Harrington
Literary Criticism in General
Literary criticism means putting to the New Testament books the kind of questions that
people in departments of literature ask questions about the
Check your response to the following statements.
All Christians are called
To be disciples.
Not all Christians are
A disciple is a Christian
Who excels in being a
The call to be a disciple
Written and Oral Traditions
Written Only Pentateuch
Believe in Resurrection
Identified with Masses
Identified with Aristocracy
Associated with Synagogues
Associated with Temple
Emphasis on Keeping the Law
STUDY GUIDE - METZGER, CHAPTER 1
1. Be able to describe the geographical information about Palestine.
2. Identify the significance of the following with regard to Palestine:
Alexander the Great