HUMAN ANATOMY & PHSIOLOGY II
DOUGLAS COLLEGE BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT
2016 - 2017
Exam Rules & Regulations
Academic Integrity Policy
Standard Practices in the Biology Lab
Important Procedures for
Review Questions Week 5 Excretory System
1. Be able to identify kidneys, bladder, ureters and urethra on a diagram, and state their
2. Be able to identify capsule, renal medulla, renal cortex, pelvis, renal artery, renal vein, hilus,
BIOLOGY 1203 WEEK 5
Urinary Systems Lab
Study anatomy of urinary system - models
Know characteristics of normal urine
Analyze and compare urine samples for physical
characteristics and chemical composition
BIOLOGY 1203/09 WEEK 6
Nervous Systems I
Nervous Systems II
Nervous System Lab
NERVOUS SYSTEM LAB
Part A: use of the microscope
Similar to that of Biology 1103
Must be able to demonstrate that you can use the
microscope before you can continue
Part B: ex
BIOLOGY 1203/09 WEEK 4
Fluids & Electrolytes I
Fluids & Electrolytes Lab
ELECTROLYTES AND BUFFERS LAB
Work in groups of 2-3
Determining levels of electrolytes by measuring
The effects of acids, bases and buffers on pH
1. A BIOL 1203 student LOVED the no carb diet plan that was done for the lab. She continues on
this diet. Explain in detail how this leads to metabolic acidosis.
2. Unfortunately the student has now developed an inflammatory digesti
The Car Accident: A Case Study in Acid-Base Balance
Mr. Henderson, a 52-year-old male, was on his way to work during a heavy rainstorm
when he lost control of his car and crossed into oncoming traffic where he collided headon with a small delivery truck.
Review Questions Week 4 Electrolytes and Buffers
1. What is an acid?
2. What is the difference between a weak acid and a strong acid?
3. What is a base?
4. What does pH measure?
5. Describe the pH scale, and the terms acidity and alkalinity in terms of [H
Week 6 Review Questions
1. List the major regions of the brain and state at least 2 functions for each region.
2. Compare and contrast the following:
central nervous system and peripheral nervous system
efferent and afferent neuron
sensory and motor neuro
Human Brain Anatomy Worksheet
Label the following on the diagram and fill in the chart below:
Which structures make up the diencephalon? Which structures ma
BIOLOGY 1203 WEEK 3
Cellular Respiration I
Nutrition Lab (Ketones)
Working with a partner, each of you will follow
either a normal diet or a carb-free diet for 48
Carb-free dieters: need to avoid all forms of sugar
Review Questions Week 3 Cell Respiration / Energy Metabolism
1. Describe 3 activities for which a cell requires energy.
2. Be able to recognize an ATP molecule and describe how it supplies energy to a reaction.
3. Distinguish between anabolic/catabolic en
Nutrients that cannot be synthesized in the body
Come from dietary sources
Be able to define terms such as essential amino acid, essential fatty
acid, essential nutrient
1) List some characteristics of organic molecules:
2) What kind of chemical reaction links together sugar molecules?
3) Give some examples of monosaccharides, disaccharides, and polysaccharides.
4) Describe the difference bet
BIOL-1203 WEEK 11
1) Human genetics I
2) Human genetics II
WEEK 11 LAB
MITOSIS IN ONION CELLS + KARYOTYPING
Prophase Metaphase Anaphase Telophase
(Plant cells either in inter
BIOL-1203 WEEK 10
1) Reproduction & Development I
2) Reproduction & Development II
Lab: Fetal pig dissection
(1) Reproduction &
Describe the location, structure and function(s) of each of t
BIOL-1203 WEEK 9
1) Endocrine system
Lab: Endocrine system
Specify the two primary fluid compartments of the body, define the terms internal
environment and homeostasis.
BIOL-1203 WEEK 8
1) The ear
Lab: Sense organs: the ear
(1) The ear
Describe the structure and functions of the external ear.
Describe the middle ear with reference to:
b) The fiv
BIOL-1203 WEEK 6
1) Nervous system I
2) Nervous system II
Lab: Nervous system
(1) Nervous System I
Describe the organization of the nervous system and explain
the functions of its principal components.
BIOL-1203 WEEK 7
1) The eye
Lab: Sense organs: the eye
(1) The eye
Identify the following components of the human eye on a model or diagram:
d) Ciliary body
BIOL-1203 WEEK 5
1) Urinary system I
2) Urinary system II
Lab: Urinary system
(1) Urinary System I
Specify the location of the following structures and describe
the function(s) of each in the excretion o
BIOL-1203 WEEK 4
1) Fluids & Electrolytes
Lab: Electrolytes & Buffers
(1) Fluids & Electrolytes
Describe the difference between compounds that are
electrolytes and those that are non-electrolytes.
BIOL-1203 WEEK 3
1) Cellular respiration
2) Energy metabolism
(1) Cellular Respiration
Describe the process of cellular respiration in general terms.
Describe the roles of ATP,
BIOL-1203 WEEK 1
Lab: Enzymatic digestion
LIFE DEPENDS ON COMPLEX