Cornell Science Inquiry Partnerships
What Makes a Seed Breathe Faster?
by Lynn Vaccaro, CSIP Graduate Student Fellow, Cornell University
This two-day experiment allows students to detect ce
LECTURE EXAM 2
Berg Companion Site
(textbook summaries, flashcards, practice quizzes and other resources)
Photosynthesis and Cellular
This caterpillar is busily munching its way through leaf after leaf. In fact, caterpillars do little more than
eat, day and night. Like all living things, they need food to provide their cells with energy.
* Fungus protection
* Alga or
Form a thallus
Lichen internal structure
occurs when mini-lichens
more distinct from each other than plants, animals, and fungi are
Mainly single celled eukaryotes (some are
colonial, others multicellular)
species in the genus Volvocales range from unicellular to colonial to multicellu
Practice Questions Chapter 20
1) What is the advantage of being able to clone the gene for human insulin?
A) Human insulin is more variable than other sources of insulin, so cloning would provide a greater chance of
obtaining a form that can be used by th
Practice Questions Chapter 18
1) A protein shell enclosing a viral genome is known as a(n)
2) A phage is a
A) virus that infects bacteria.
B) virus-infected bacterium.
C) protein shell enclosing a
Practice Questions Chapter 16
1) One type of virus that infects bacteria is called a(n)
2) DNA and RNA are polymers of
A) fatty acids.
D) amino acids.
Practice Questions Chapter 15
1) You conduct a dihybrid cross and then testcross the F1 generation. A _ ratio would make you
suspect that the genes are linked.
2) Linked genes are an exception to
Practice Questions Chapter 12
1) Asexual reproduction requires _ individual(s).
2) The genetic material is duplicated during
A) the mitotic phase.
B) G1 .
C) the S phase.
D) G2 .