18. In an ac circuit, the current in a capacitor
A. leads the voltage by 90.
B. lags the voltage by 90.
C. is in phase with the voltage.
D. leads the voltage by radians.
E. lags the voltage by radians.
19. A 2.2 k resistor and a 2.0 F capacitor are in ser
9. The emf produced by an ac generator is given by = NBA sin t. In the SI system, what is the
value of for a frequency of 60.0 Hz?
A. 60.0 Hz
B. 120 rad/s
C. 2.00 rad/s
D. 377 rad/s
E. 377 Hz
10. The SI unit H (the henry) is equal to a
29. A series RLC ac circuit has a capacitive reactance of 55 , and inductive reactance of 25 , and a
resistance of 40 . What is the impedance of this circuit?
30. A series RLC ac circuit has a capacitive reactance of 55
19. A 20 turn coil of area 10 cm2 is placed in a magnetic field so that the normal to its area is in the
direction of the field. If the field has a value of 0.25 T, what is the total flux through the coil?
B. 5.0 10-3 Tm2
C. 25 10-5 Tm2
D. 50 Tm2
A series LR circuit includes a 9.0 V battery, a resistance of 0.50 , and an inductance of 0.80
H. When the switch is closed, how long does it take for the current to reach one half of its
A. 0.80 s
B. 1.6 s
C. 2.3 s
D. 1.1 s
E. 0.55 s
A 1.7 H inductor has a current of 6.6 A flowing through it. The current reduces to 3.3 A over a
period of 1.6 s. What is the average power the inductor supplies to the circuit as the current
A. 17 W
B. 37 W
C. 9.3 W
D. 28 W
E. 46 W
A proton cyclotron has a magnetic field of 0.20 T between its poles and a radius of 0.40 m.
What is the maximum energy for the protons from this machine?
A. 1.6 10-13 J
B. 3.2 10-13 J
C. 4.9 10-13 J
D. 3.2 10-14 J
E. 4.9 10-14 J
Giambattista - Chapter
What current is necessary to generate a field of 0.20 T inside a solenoid of 300 turns per cm?
A. 530 A
B. 5.3 A
C. 33 A
D. 0.33 A
E. 3.1 A
Giambattista - Chapter 19 #50
Section: 19.8 Magnetic Field due to an Electric Current
Two long straight wir
Find the force (magnitude and direction) exerted on an electron moving vertically upward at a
speed of 2.0 107 m/s by a horizontal magnetic field of 0.50 T directed north.
A. 1.6 10-12 N west
B. 1.6 10-12 N east
C. 1.8 10-12 N west
D. 1.8 10-12 N east
The unit of magnetic flux is the weber. 1 Wb equals
A. 1 Vm.
B. 1 Vs/A.
C. 1 Tm2.
Giambattista - Chapter 20 #15
Section: 20.3 Faradays Law
Faraday's law of induction states that the emf induced in a rectangular loop of wire is
54. A series LR circuit includes a 9.0 V battery, a resistance of 0.20 , and an inductor. When the
switch is closed, the circuit exhibits a time constant of 200 ms. What is the inductance of the
A. 42 mH
B. 15 mH
C. 32 mH
D. 40 mH
E. 22 mH
56. An RLC series circuit has a 22 resistor, a 3.0 H inductor, and a capacitor. What capacitance
would result in resonance at 60 Hz?
A. 55 mF
B. 0.33 F
C. 65 F
D. 15 mF
E. 2.3 F
57. What is the resonant frequency of a 1.0 F capacitor and 15 mH coil in ser
Doubling the current, number of turns, the area, and the ambient magnetic field for a coil
changes the maximum torque it experiences by what factor?
Giambattista - Chapter 19 #43
Section: 19.7 Torque on a Current Loop
The north end of a bar magnet is pushed downward toward a wire loop in the plane of the
paper. In which direction is the induced current, and which way is the induced magnetic field?
A. clockwise, into the paper
B. clockwise, out of the paper
46. What is the magnetic energy density in a volume where the magnetic field is 4.0 mT?
A. 3.2 10-3 J/m3
B. 3.2 J/m3
C. 6.4 J/m3
D. 13 J/m3
E. 13 10-3 J/m3
47. A 0.40 H inductor has a current that rises from zero to 3.0 A in 6.0 s. What is the average pow
Introductory Physics for IT
Chapter 1: Introduction
Goal of Physics
is to provide an understanding of nature by
developing theories based on experiments.
foundation of other physical sciences
Divided into f
CHEM 2404 Forensic Chemistry
Peak Width of Electronic Spectra of Molecules
Electronic transition from ground vibrational and electronic state to one of several closely spaced vibrational energy levels in the excited electronic state