1. If 200 volts are put across a 300-loop transformer's primary coil:
a. What will be the voltage output if the secondary coil had 750 loops?
The voltage across the secondary Vs is related to that across primary Vp is related as
Substituting the numerical
1. How many calories are needed to raise 500 grams of water from 25 degrees
Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius?
Q = cm t
Q = 1*500*(40 25) = 7500 calories
2. Define the following terms:
a. Internal energy
The sum of all the energy of all the molecule
Physics II WA4
1. State and explain the postulates of the special theory of relativity.
First postulate: The laws of physics have the same form in all inertial reference
Second postulate (constancy of speed of light): Light propagates th
Physics II WA2
1. Find the resistance of a light bulb that is connected to a 120-volt line and has a current of
0.5 amps flowing through it.
Resistance R = 120/0.5 = 240 ohms
2. Calculate the electrical power of a lamp that carries 2 amps of current at 12
1. In your own words, explain the difference between a conductor, an insulator,
and a semiconductor. Give an example of each to illustrate your comparison.
Conductors are substances which allow electricity to pass through them easily.
Physics II WA6
1. Define the following terms:
a. Radioactive half-life:
Radioactive half-life of a substance is the time period during which the number of
nuclei decreases to its half.
b. Correspondence principle:
Correspondence principle states that the
Chapter 23 Exercises
19. Why are thick wires rather than thin wires usually used to carry large currents?
Thick wires have less resistance and so they will heat up less when a large current is
passed through them. The resistance of a wire is proportional