June 27, 2016
World Religions 201
Top Ten Truths of Hinduism
1. There are a total of 900 million Hindus worldwide, making Hinduism the third largest
religion in the world. Hinduism has no founder, date or origin. The authors, date and most
June 28, 2016
World Religions 201
Top Ten Truths of Buddhism
1. Buddhism began in India 2,500 years ago. Buddhism can be traced back 500 years
before the birth of Christ. It began in Northeastern India when people became
disappointed with cer
1. Belief in God (Allah) - Muslims believe in one, irreplaceable, unique God, Who has no
son and no partner, and that no other God has the right to be worshipped but Him alone.
He is the true God, and every other god is false. They call their God Allah, w
REL 201, Section B06N
17 April 2016
Sikhism began, in 1469, with the birth of Guru Nanak in Talwandi, a village north of
India. As a boy, Guru Nanak learned, beside the regional languages, Persian and Arab
10 Truths of Confucianism
1. Confucianism is based on ethics and philosophy developed by the Chinese philosopher
Confucius, who lived from 551 to 478 BC.
2. Confucianism has been followed by the Chinese for more than 2 million years and is
understood as a
Top Ten Truths of Sikhism
1. Worship one God- Sikh believe in only one God. They do not believe in any demi Gods of idols.
2. Everyone should be treated equally- Do not show distinction or rank because of race, class, or
gender. Therefore, a homeless is p
1. Monotheism: They believe there is only one God and no one or thing is above him.
2. God: Judaism is a monotheistic faith, meaning that Jews believe there is only One God. Often
this God is beyond our ability to comprehend, but God is nevertheless prese
1. Hindus believe in Brahman as the one true God who is formless, limitless, all-inclusive, and
eternal. Brahman is not an abstract concept; it is a real entity that encompasses everything (seen
and unseen) in the universe.
2. Hindus believe in the divini
Top 10 truths of buddhism
1. Buddha is not a God- Buddha was an ordinary man, who 2,500 years ago saw clearly into the
true nature of reality. As such, Buddhas teachings are not set rules to follow, nor the only
wisdom in the world. Instead, they should b
Top 10 truths African Religions
1. Supreme God - Many African religions believed in a supreme god that created the world.
Some examples include the gods Oludmare of Nigeria and Katonda of Uganda. In some
religions this god may be prayed to for help, but i
Top 10 Truths of Shintoism
1. Kami- The best English translation of kami is 'spirits', but this is an over-simplification of a
complex concept - kami can be elements of the landscape or forces of nature. Kami are close to
human beings and respond to human
1. God of Christianity
The essential teachings of traditional Christianity are that Jesus is the Son of God, the second person of
the Trinity of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; that his life on earth, his crucifixion,
resurrection, and ascen
Top 10 truths Taoism
1. Tao Te Ching - The Tao Te Ching is like the owners manual for Taoists. Although
there are hundreds of other works in the Taoist canon, this one is required reading.
Short and brief, it nonetheless offers a basic world view for the
Top Ten Truths About Bahais
1. Baha'is believe there is only one God. This God is the source of all creation. He is transcendent
and unknowable. He sent and sends prophets to humanity through the Word of God.
2. Essential unity of great religions of the w
1- There is only one God: It is a Christians belief that there is only one God and that to
worship another is a sin. God is the one and only and there should be no idols before
2- God created us for His glory: God made us to show his greatness and sh
Top 10 truths Native American
1. Guardian Spirits - The Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest believed that all living
things were watched over by guardian spirits. This included animals, trees, people, and
even some inanimate objects like the wind, s
Top Ten Truths of Jainism
1. Belief in God- Jains do not believe in a God or gods in the way that many other religions do, but
they do believe in divine (or at least perfect) beings who are worthy of devotion.
2. Karma- Jainism upholds the universal law o
Top 10 Truths of Zoroastrians
1. Belief in Supreme and Universal God. Ahura Mazda is the supreme, all-knowing and all-powerful
God, who symbolizes truth, radiance, purity, order, justice, courage, strength and patience. He is
the creator as well as sustai
Evil can be moral, natural, gratuitous and mixed.
Moral: Evil Choices
Natural: No human involvement nor intelligent purpose Natural disasters
Gratuitous: Personal and emotional evil. Suffering of the innocent.
Mixed: Free choices and natural ev
Shinto, a religious form of Japanese nationalism is one of the oldest of
all the worlds religions. It is unlike other religions in as much as it is
basically not a system of beliefs. It has been variously defined. John B.
Noss definition states:
Hinduism is one of the worlds oldest of all religious systems; it dates
back from India and from which sect you are speaking of it dates back
2000-3000 years BCE. It is one of the most vast, broad and yet also
one of the most complicated and c
Background: Began in India about 500 years before Christ. Many had
become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism. Most notably, the
Caste System and the whole idea of the endless cycle of births, deaths and
rebirths were viewed with dread
African American Religion
The African American churches are the oldest and most important
institutions in their communities.
Since African American religion has always been predominantly Christian
in character, this lecture will center l