Outline for Class 4
More linear programming
HW1 due next Thursday
Email or hand turn it in
I will review solutions in class prior to your first exam
Outline for Class 5
Practice with linear programming, excel solver, and
HW1 due this Thursday
Email or hand turn it in
I will review solutions in class prior to your
Chp 6. # 7 A.
B. Cycle time = 7*3600 = 25200/500 = 50.4 seconds (max cycle time)
min cycle time = max task time = 45 seconds
The longest Task D takes 50 seconds so he may set that as the base cycle time.
1. One important use of inventories in manufacturing is to decouple operations through the use of work in
2. The objective of inventory management is to minimize the cost of holding inventory.
1. Location decisions are basically one-time decisions usually made by new organizations.
2. The fact that most types of firms are located in every section of the country suggests that in many cases,
location decisions are no
1. Continuous processing is the best way to produce customized output.
2. As a general rule, continuous processing systems produce products for inventory rather than for customer
3. A Job-Shop processing sys
1. Aggregate planning is intermediate-range capacity planning that typically covers a time horizon of one to
2. The goal of aggregate planning is to achieve a production plan that attempts to balance the organ
1. A company's supply chain involves the flow of materials and information from suppliers, through production,
to the end users.
2. In supply chain organizations, functions must operate independently of each other.
This is homework assignment 1 and it is due by 5pm on Friday September 12, 2014 5pm on Monday
September 15, 2014. It contains 5 main questions which each may contain subquestions. Each question
will be worth 20 points. I prefer typed homework h
This is homework assignment 2 and it is due Wednesday October 8, 2014 AT THE START OF CLASS. It
contains 5 main questions, each worth 20 points, that may contain subquestions. I prefer typed
homework however, you may hand write it as long as it
This is homework assignment 3 and it is due Wednesday October 29, 2014 AT THE START OF CLASS. It
contains 3 main questions, each worth 33 points, that may contain subquestions. I prefer typed
homework however, you may hand write it as long as i
Outline for Class 3
In class exercise
Power of LPs
Special Cases of Linear Programming
Outline for Class 1
Objectives of the course
What is the point of this course?
What do I expect of the students?
Review the course syllabus
Policies and requirements
1. Waiting lines occur even in under loaded systems because of variability in service rates and/or arrival rates.
2. A system has one service facility that can service 10 customers per hour. The customers arrive at a variab
1. "Flow-shop scheduling" is used in high volume systems.
2. Line balancing is a major factor in the design and scheduling of low volume systems because of batch
3. Scheduling in intermediate-volume s
x1=Orange Juice produced
x2=grapefurit juice produced
x3=pineapple juice produced
price Oranage Juice
price Grapefurit Juice
price Pineapple Juice
Chapter 13 Questions
A. 40 x 260 = 10,400 packages
S= 60 H=30
Total Cost =
Total Cost with 200 = = $6,120
Yes would be acceptable since there is only a $ 1.18 difference.
1. An example of a strategic operations management decision is the choice of where to locate.
2. An example of an operational operations management decision is inventory level management.
3. Government statistics a
1. Ergonomics is the use of computers and robots in the workplace.
2. Specialization is one of the sources of disagreement between the efficiency and behavioral approaches to job
3. One disadvantage of spec
1. Operations managers are responsible for assessing consumer wants and needs and selling and promoting the
organization's goods or services.
2. Often, the collective success or failure of companies' operations functions will
Home Work #2
1. Find the Range of output for each alternative that would yield the lowest total cost.
a. From 0 to 33.33 you would use option B Subcontract
1,500Q=50,000 =Q = 33.333
From 33 to 400 you would option
1. Broadly defined, quality refers to the ability of a product or service to occasionally meet or exceed customer
2. An organization achieves quality by consistently meeting their competitor's standards.
1. Forecasting techniques generally assume an existing causal system that will continue to exist in the future.
2. For new products in a strong growth mode, a low alpha will minimize forecast errors when using exponential
1. Approving the effort that occurs during the production process is known as acceptance sampling.
2. Statistical Process Control is the measurement of rejects in the final product.
3. The optimum level of inspec
1. MRP works best if the inventory items have dependent demand.
2. Low level coding represents items less than $18 per unit.
3. Independent demand tends to be more 'lumpy' than dependent demand meaning that we ne
1. Linear programming techniques will always produce an optimal solution to an LP problem.
2. LP problems must have a single goal or objective specified.
3. Constraints limit the alternatives available to a decis
1. Good project management is especially important with virtual teams.
2. One way that project management differs from management of more traditional activities is because of the
limited lifetime of projects.
Outline for Class 2
Pick up where we left off last class
What is Operations Management?
As your text defines it
The management of systems or process tha
Outline for Class 5
Review Exam 1
Recap Location Analysis and Planning Models
Next class, how to solve a transportation problem
This is homework assignment 1 and it is due by 11:59 on Wednesday January 27, 2016. It contains 4
main questions which each may contain subquestions. Each question will be worth 25 points. You will
submit this assignment via Canvas through the
Professor Heather Cross
3 December 2014
Patrick Batemans Identity in American Psycho
There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me:
only an entity, something illusory. And thou
San Francisco is a wonderful city full of art and entertainment. It fits anyones needs with its
excitement and diversity. Youll get to experience the big city feel without being in a big city
because San Francisco is surpisingly only seven-by
I pledge that I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid on this assignment. My
digital signature below constitutes my pledge that all writing is my own, with the
exception of those portions that I have properly documented
Why does Huntsville need new businesses?
The Huntsville/Madison area is rapidly growing. On November 27, 2012
the Huntsville Times stated.Huntsville will gain nearly 10,000 more
households between this year and 2017. With this growth in
Reading Response to Where Is the Voice Coming From
The narrator in Where Is the Voice Coming from by Eudora Welty is an unknown male.
I think thats where the title comes from. Who is this person? Whose voice is this? He doesnt