1. Executive orders
Signed statements from the president to carry out a certain action and has the force of law.
2. Executive privilege
Power to refuse release of information to Congress or court.
3. diplomatic recognition (include Truman and
FOR EACH OF THESE first four, include at least two specific examples along with the definition!
Be THOROUGH for each of these definitions!
1. Independent agencies
Government agencies that operate apart from an executive branch.
Ex.) Environmental Protecti
1. Civil rights movement is a mass movement in the 1950s and 1960s to guarantee the civil
rights of African Americans.
2. Civil disobedience is the nonviolent refusal to obey the law as a way to advocate change.
3. Poll tax is a tax levied on someone who
1. equal protection clause
States apply the same laws to everyone.
2. suspect classification
Distinction in a law based off of race or national origin.
Separation of people by race.
4. Jim Crow laws
Segregation laws specifically aimed at Af
When something is sacred we believe it to be related to God. We
respect it by acknowledging that is it sacred. We respect it by using it
for its proper use and not abusing it.
In biblical times if someone new you
1. income tax- Tax on persons or corporations income
2. progressive tax
Tax that increases if what is being taxed increases. More money more tax.
3. payroll tax- Tax taken off a paycheck
4. regressive tax
Tax that has bigger impact on low income families
1. What is bicameralism?
Two houses of a legislature.
2-6: For each one, name and then describe the five basic categories of enumerated powers.
2) Power to make, raise, borrow money. Power to tax, coin money, issue money.
3) Power to regulate commerce. Co
1. bureaucracy-Type of organizations
-clear formal structure
-division of labor
-set of rules and procedures
Administrators and skilled people who carry out task if bureaucrats
3. civil service
Group of federal workers that carry out work f
The Bane of the Tsars
s Cossacks had been a problem since the
time of Ivan the Terrible.
s When Ivan died in 1584, the Cossacks
became a larger concern with Ivans
s Theodore Romanov, Ivans heir would die
without an heir of his owna
At the time of Columbus more exploration was starting to happen. When more people
explored more encounters between the Native Americans and Europeans started to occur.
Europeans wanted a route to Asia but, they discovered a
Tehran- Stalin, Roosevelt Churchill
meet at this conference to help Stailn with Hitler and he will help US with Japan
US want the world to be free after world war
Stalin, Churchill, FDR
Cold war decisions
- Stalin to take over Poland (free e