A microphone is located on the line connecting two speakers that are 0.750 m apart and oscillating 180 out of phase. The microphone is 2.00 m from the midpoint of the two speakers. What are the lowest two frequencies that produce an interfe
Two rays of light converge toward each other forming an angle of 27. Before they intersect, however, they are reflected from a circular plane mirror with a diameter of 11 cm. If the mirror can be moved horizontally to the left or right, wh
You are taking pictures of the beach at sunset. Just before the Sun sets, a shutter speed of 1/100 sec at f / 11 produces a properly exposed picture. Shortly after the Sun sets, however, your light meter indicates that the scene is only on
54. Picture the Problem: The de Broglie wavelength of an electron is related to both the momentum and the kinetic energy of an electron. Strategy: Write the kinetic energy (equation 7-6) of the electron in terms of the momentum (equation 9
5. Picture the Problem: The figure shows two students listening to two coherent sound sources. Both students hear constructive interference. Strategy: Since student A is equidistant from both speakers the difference in path lengths from ea
39. Picture the Problem: The image shows two light rays entering water. One ray enters at 10.0 and refracts to 8.00. The second ray enters at 20.0 and refracts to 15.5.
Strategy: Solve Snells Law (equation 26-11) for the index of refracti
8. Picture the Problem: This is a units conversion problem Strategy: Use the appropriate unit conversions to measure the distance of one light year in kilometers, the speed of light in light years per year, and the speed of light in feet p
2. Picture the Problem: A person on the positive y-axis observes an electromagnetic wave that radiates from an electric charge that oscillates sinusoidally about the origin and along the x-axis.
Strategy: In order for the radiation to rea
4. Picture the Problem: A house has a floor of dimensions 22 m by 18 m. The local magnetic field due to Earth has a horizontal component 2.610-5 T and a downward vertical component 4.210-5 T. Strategy: The horizontal component of the magne
1. Picture the Problem: A proton moves in a magnetic field that is directed at right angles to its velocity. Strategy: Combine Newton's Second Law with the magnetic force (equation 22-1) to find the acceleration of the particle. Solution:
7. Picture the Problem: A battery for a pacemaker is rated for a certain number of ampere-hours. Strategy: Convert the number of ampere-hours to coulombs of charge, then use equation 21-1 to determine the time required for the specified av
2. Picture the Problem: A uniform electric field along the direction. creates a change in the electric potential
Strategy: The change in electric potential is given by equation 20-4, , where is equal to because the field points in the dir