Domestic Violence (DT#5): Due 8 July 2011 by 11:45 P.M.
Review: Chapter 4, Violence and Abuse
The National Coalition against Domestic Violence estimates that three to four million women are battered each year
by their partner or ex-
Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria (DT #8): Due 25 July 2011 by 11:45 P.M.
Discuss one of the following topics:
2. Why are antibiotic resistant bacteria a concern to humans? . What are some of the most
virulent strains of emerging antibi
Ethics & Health Care Reform (DT #10): Due 8 August 2011 by 11:45 P.M.
Choose one to the topics below to research and discuss:
1. Rationing Health Care:
Read the information at the following websites:
End of Life Decisions (DT #9): Due 1 August 2011 by 11:45 P.M.
5. Chose only ONE of the topics below to research and discuss
a. What is the difference between the two most common advance directives, the health-care proxy (durable po
Obesity (DT #7): Closes 18 July 2011 by 11:45 P.M.
View the two videos, Food for Thought and Weighing In
Read one of the three articles located under the Resources tab:
1. The Perils of Our Corn-fed Nation" by George Wills
2. $41B L
Marijuana (DT #6): Due 14 July at 11:45 P.M
Watch Video #11, The Web of Addiction. Within the general context of understanding drug addiction, discuss the
most widely used illegal drug, marijuana. Select one of the two topics below
4. Discuss the risk of suicide associated with depression in vulnerable individuals and how to
recognize and get help for someone who may be suicidal. Describe some of the characteristics of
a person that may be suicidal. Research and discuss some
Stress (DT#4): Due 4 July 2011 by 11:45 P.M.
Review: Chapter 3 - Stress and Its Management
View: Videos 1 - 4.
From the videos and your textbook, describe some warning signals of stress overload and discuss how high
stress levels a
1. This DT is intended to provoke critical thought about your personal health status, your
lifestyle and behaviors that lead to poor health.
Complete the Healthstyle self-assessment, located under Discussion Topic #2
Resources. What was your score
Notes: Chapter 1
I. Putting Your Health in Perspective
A. The definition of health has evolved throughout history.
1. Early definition of health was the opposite of sickness.
2. The discovery of microorganisms was the motive for defining health as good