Cell Biology Midterm Exam 2
Practice exam 2
Note: all answers are worth 2 points each unless otherwise noted.
If a cell were to replicate itself three (3) times, what percentage of the total DNA
present would be comprised of the original DNA?
Biol 203 Cell Biology Problem Set 5
1. (True/False).The differences in the patterns of proteins produced in different
specialized cell types are accurately reflected in the patterns of expressed mRNAs and
mRNAs only. Explain your answer.
- The statement a
Cell Biology Midterm Exam 1
Note: all answers are worth 2 points each unless otherwise noted. There is only one
correct answer for each question.
A carbon atom contains six protons and six neutrons.
What are its atomic number an
Problem set 3
1. What, if anything, is wrong with the following statement: Both germ-cell DNA
stability and somatic-cell DNA stability are essential for the survival of the species.
Explain your answer.
-True both germ-cell DNA stability and
Mass Media and Society
December 6, 2010
1. Conspicuous consumption is when people buy items to impress others and also to flaunt
that they have money. An example of something a rich person may buy would be
electronics. A person may buy a bigger flat scree
Biol203 Cell Biology Problem Set 4
1. Which of the following mutational changes would you predict to be the most
deleterious to gene function? Explain your answer.
1. Insertion of a single nucleotide near the end of the coding sequence.
2. Removal of a si
Biol 203 Cell Biology Problem Set 2
1. . DNA isolated from the bacterial virus M13 contains 25% A, 33% T, 22% C, and
20% G. Do these result strike you as peculiar? Why or why not? How might you
explain these results?
In all samples of double-stranded DNA,
Cell Biology Spring 2012
Problem set 1
1. If an uncatalyzed reaction occurs at the rate 1 event per century and if an enzyme
speeds up the rate by a factor of 1014, how long in seconds does it take the enzyme to
catalyze one event?
The enzyme catalyzes ev
Cell Biology Problem set 6
1. (True/False). The membranes that partition the cell into functionally distinct
compartments are impermeable. Explain your answer.
- This statement is false. The membranes that partition the cell into functionally
Chemical bonds are composed up of two different types or categories
hydrogen and covalent bonds
Van Der Waals and non-covalent bonds
covalent and non-covalent
non-covalent and hydrogen
none of the above
The atomic weight of any atom or the molecula
DNA is composed of a base, a _, and a phosphate group.
6 carbon sugar
6 carbon sugar reduced by one hydroxyl group
5 carbon sugar
5 carbon sugar reduced by one hydroxyl group
None of the above
The complementary base pairing can only be accomplished
1. The protein(s) that initially open the replication bubble in eukaryotes to allow
replication to initiate are called.
b. topoisomerase I
c. topoisomerase II
2. SSBs role in replication is
a. prevent hairpin formation ssDNA (sin
The TATA box is to the TBP as is the
a. trans acting element is to a cis acting element
b. sigma factor is to the -10 to -35 sequence
c. snRNA is to the spliceasome
d. the spliceasome is to snRNA
e. -10 to -35 sequence is to the sigma factor
1. DNA binding proteins interact with what region of the DNA to alter its shape?
A. Phosphate backbone
B. R group
C. Minor grove
D. Major grove
E. None of the above
2. The significance of the zinc molecule in the zinc binding finger is?
A. To interact wit
A person who analyzes a firm's income and expenses over a specified period and selects appropriate ways to invest extra
funds is involved in
Effective implementation of a decision requires planning.
Question 2 o
W14 PLA Ksp Determination of CaSO4
In procedure 12, you are to titrate H+ with 0.010 M NaOH. Suppose that 12.50mL of
0.010 M NaOH was used to reach the endpoint. Each question is worth 1 pt.
1. How many moles of OH- was used to reach the endpoint?
October 10, 2012
Biology of Cancer Extra Credit
Ligand/Receptor: NotchL, Delta1,2,3, and Jagged1,2
Main Proteins: Notch1,2,3,4
End Effect: two proteolytic cuts in Notch -frees cytoplasm fragment-translocates to
nucleus-becomes part of transcriptio
Chemistry Lab II
Chemical Equilibrium: Le Chateliers Principle
"Write an equation for the equilibrium between aqueous Fe3+, SCN-, (as reactants), and
[FeSCN]2+ (as the product)." Just write the net ionic equation (don't include the spectator
Iron (II) in Acid Solution
Chem II Lab
Tuesday March 27, 2012
The purpose of this lab was to determine the activation energy (Ea) required for the
reaction of ferroin with a strong acid.
For this lab my partner and I used a spectrophot
LL, Ll = wild type growth habit
ll = lazy
ZZ, Zz = wild type leaf color
zz = zebra; green and white stripes
1. In corn, a gene named lazy controls growth habit. Plants homozygous for the mutant allele flop over and grow
along the ground. Another gen
March 14, 2011
Feminism is a body of social theory and political movement primarily based on and
motivated by the experiences of the women, while generally providing a critique of social
relations, many proponents, and i
Final Exam Questions
May 1, 2011
Women today and women 50 years ago are very different. Fifty years ago woman did not
have the rights that we currently posses now. Today the spread of global womens organizations
and the impact of womens contri
1. In the box below, diagram the chemical structure of the tri-peptide Aspartic Acid - Lysine Serine. Show the complete structure of each R group. Label the amino end and the carboxyl end.
Circle the peptide bonds.
2. Rate the hydrophobicity of eac
November 13, 2010
Devastation In 2005
There are five different categories of hurricanes, but the one that touched our hearts in
2005 was a category 3, Hurricane Katrina. A category 3 hurricane can have winds
The purpose of this lab was to determine the molecular weight of urea.
Before starting the procedures an ice bath was made and the temperature was dropped to 0C. 10
mL was added to a test tube and then a thermometer was placed inside.
February 1, 2012
Lab Report #1
Table 1. Length-weight of fish collected at Kahle Lake by PA Fish and Boat Commission
In this Scatter plot there were two outliers from the data that was collected. This could
have happened due to the lack of food and also t
Sampling a Hill of Beans
Lab Report #5
In this lab we observed a small sample of beans, 5, and a large sample of beans, 25.
Information such as the weight of beans were recorded and placed in data tables. From there the
sample means, standard
March 7, 2012
Prey use many defenses against their predators and predators can also use the same
defenses when trying to get to their prey. Morphology is a trait that many prey use against their
predator. This term can be se