Oct. 2, 2013
Concept questions (1-5) do not require the homework format.
1. [CB 5-27C] The kinetic energy of a uid increases as it is accelerated in an adiabatic nozzle.
Where does this energy come from?
2. [CB 5-45C] Will the t
Nov. 6, 2013
Concept questions (1-4) do not require the homework format.
1. Can the entropy of a control volume change during an adiabatic, reversible uniform ow
process? Why or why not?
2. [CB 10-9C] Consider a simple ideal Ran
Nov 27, 2013
Concept questions (1-2) do not require the homework format.
1. What is the difference between the isentropic efciency and second-law efciency of a workproducing or consuming device (e.g. turbine, compressor)?
Dec 4, 2013
1. [FR 4.43] In the Deacon process for the manufacture of chlorine, HCl and O2 react to
form Cl2 and H2 O. Sufcient air (21 mole% O2 , 79% N2 ) is fed to provide 35% excess
oxygen (excess of stoichiometric oxygen)
Chapter 6 Concept Questions (HW format not required)
Problem 1: CB 6-12C
Does a heat engine that has a thermal eciency of 100 percent necessarily violate (a) the rst law and (b)
the second law of thermodynamics? Expl
Concept Questions (HW format not required)
Problem 1: CB 7-18C
Steam is accelerated as it ows through an actual adiabatic nozzle. The entropy of the steam at the nozzle
exit will be (greater than, equal to, less than