Fundamentals of Environmental Biotechnology
Course No.: 70050313 Prerequisites: None
Class hours: 48
he course of environmental biotechnology comprises three
Essential reactions: microbes use reactants like carbon or nitrogen source use chemicals to synthesize cells.
Bio system: microbes can copy themselves: we dont need additional catalysts etc. they can produce themselves.
There are two ty
Wang Hui ( [email protected]
Plastic pollution, water pollution, air pollution, ozone
layer damage,CO2 over emissio
1.4 Microbial Metabolisms
the set of chemical reactions that occur in living organisms to
allow organisms to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures,
and respond to their environments.
Metabolism is usuall
Questions for Chapter 2
1. Why chlorination can not be replaced by UV disinfection in drinking water treatment?
2. In recent years, more and more multiple antibiotics resistant bacteria were identified from
environment. What is the reason for this?
The Imhoff tank
The Imhoff tank, named for German engineer Karl Imhoff (18761965), is a chamber suitable for the reception and
processing of sewage. It may be used for the clarification of sewage by simple settling
1.1 MICROBIOLOGY AND MICROORGANISMS
1. Describe microorganisms
- Less than 1mm in diameter
- Found as single cells or a cluster of cells
- Large genetic diversity and large species diversity
- They all contain proteins, lipids, nucleic acids, polysacchari
1.1 The Science of Microbiology
1. As they exist in nature, why can it be said that microbial cells differ fundamentally from the cells of higher organisms?
2. Why are microbial cells useful tools for basic science?
1.2 Microbial Cells
1. What d
1. Why do aerobic microbes grow faster than anaerobic microbes?
Generally, aerobic microbes grow faster than anaerobic microbes due to the higher
energy (ATP) production efficiency in aerobic microbes. Take glucose metabolism for
Answer keys for Chapter 2
1. Why chlorination cant be replaced by UV disinfection in
drinking water treatment?
Chlorination destroys the target organisms by oxidation of the cellular
material whereas UV disinfection is the physical method to destroy the t