Understanding Childrens as Artists
- Researchers focus on:
What children choose to include or represent (content)
- refers to the subject matter or object being represented in childrens art
How children create (process)
refers to the actions and skills
Plastic: sculpture, ceramics, architecture
Graphic: drawing, painting, printmaking
Continuum of Approaches
The teacher has a definite idea of what the children will mak
Early Childhood Art
1. Allow children to be personally expressive
2. Subtly balance artistic process and product
3. Be open-ended, allowing children to be creative
4. Allow for discovery and experimentation
5. Allow for active engagement and sustained inv
Studio-Oriented versus Discipline-Based Arts Education
Dominates teacher training and influences current thinking and
practice with respect to early childhood art
A child-centered, creative self-expression approach
Learning about Art, Artists, and Their Styles
What is art?
art to reflect and symbolize their existence.
Who are artists?
Childrens interest in and study of community helpers can extend to
a unique of form of knowingthinking with the body that fuses thought,
emotion, and action.
Express Creativity through
1. Play is pleasurable and enjoyable. Children play because it is fun.
Holistic Model of Child Development
- What are the 5 domains of development?
large muscle or gross motor
small muscle or fine motor
perceptual-motor or eye-hand coordination
Through visual art act
Art Safety Guidelines
Use judgment in providing staplers, staples, sharp scissors, tin cans, glitter,
spray paint, toothpicks, hot plate, needles, pins, knives, and so on.
Take the time to discuss any potential hazards and dangers.
Try out the art acti
What does creative mean to you? When you hear the word creative what first comes
to mind? Do you think of a person? Do you think of an object? Do you think of a
Definitions of Creativity
The ability to see things in new ways
Class 1 - Creative Activities for Children
Student Learning Objectives
Purposeful, intentional teaching
- Explain the value of the creative arts in early care and education programs.
- Experience creative arts as a means of ongoing pr