4. Objectives: what you want to accomplish with a message.
Strategies: how to accomplish the objectives.
Tactics: specific activities that make the plan come to life.
8. Understand the symbolism and associations that create a brand image, the me
5. Primary research is information that is collected for the first time from original sources,
while secondary research is background research that uses available published information
about a topic.
6.Quantatative research delivers numerical da
9. Describe the five steps in the creative process.
a. Step 1: Immersion: Read, research, and learn everything you can about the
b. Step 2: Ideation: Look at the problem from every angle; develop ideas and
generate as many alternatives
1-5) Advertising plays four general roles in society. Define and explain each one in the
context of the 1984 commercial featured in this chapter.
a. Marketing and communication: Provides information about a product, and can
also transform a product into a
8. Explain the differences between GRPs and TRPs. How are they used to estimate the impact
of a media plan?
a. GRP: Gross Rating Points indicate the weight or efficiency of a media plan.
The more GRPs in a plan, the more weight the media buy is
4.4) The key parts are a source, a sender who encodes, or puts it in words and pictures as a
message. The message is presented through channels of communication, such as a
newspaper, radio, or television. The message is decoded, or interpreted by the rece
4. Different cultures often have different core values, whether it be that Americans value
freedom, independence, and individualism, or that in Asian and Latin countries people value
families and groups. Based on these different core values, the
A. Arty and Copy work together to deliver the creative concept, but with concept is
generally expressed in words. Words are often credited with reducing consumer
There are five advertising situations in which words are crucial.
3. Timing and Duration: involves a balance between available advertising dollar and the
length of the campaign.
Continuity Strategy spreads the advertising continuously and evenly over the length of the
Pulsing: intensify advertising before an o