| ASSIGNMENT 1: LIST OF PSEUDO-SCIENCES
The following have broad consensus concerning their pseudoscientific status. Indicative of
this are assertions by mainstream, specialized scientific bodies
Astrology refers to any of several systems of under
HW 16: MILKY WAY
1. In which of the basic regions of the Galaxy is the Sun located?
- Galactic Disk
2. What is the approximate distance of our Sun from the center of the Galaxy?
- 8kpc. The distance is 8500pc, or about 28,000light-years.
1. Why does the surface of the Sun appear to have a sharp edge? The
photosphere is thin compared to the other atmospheric regions. The
thinness of the atmosphere makes the Sun appear to have a distinct edge.
2. What is the surface temperat
Which of the following statements about sidereal and solar days is not true
A. A solar day is approximately 4 minutes longer than a sidereal day.
B. A sidereal day is the amount of time between successive appearances of any star on our meridian.
C. A sola
The light-year is a measure of
About how long does it take light from the Sun to reach the Earth?
about 8 minutes
The light-second is a measure of
The zenith is
the point on the sky directly overhead
patterns of stars
ASTRONOMY 100, Section BH (41500): SYLLABUS Spring 2016
Course Schedule: Tue and Thur, 11:10AM 12:25AM in 8-8304
Instructor: Prof. G. R. Grist
Help Sessions (Office Hours): Tue 12:35 1:55PM and Thurs 12:35 1:55PM