BIO-1 LAB 3 NO TR FILE NOTES PG.1
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15TH 2016
1. The _A_ is the basic unit of life
2. Your body is composed of _A_ of cells
3. A single cell has to perform all the _A_ to keep the animal alive
4. Protozoans are _A_-celled organisms
BIO-1 LAB 1 TR FILE C/1 NOTES PG. 1
Thursday, September 1st 2016
1. _A_ is the scientific study of life
2. What are the 5 steps of the scientific method?
3. Label the Parts of the microscope:
4. What is the magnification of your: A. ocular lens B. Low pow
BIO-1 LAB 2 TR FILE C/2 NOTES PG. 1
Thursday, September 8th 2016
1. What is energy often measured and reported as?
2. _A_ is important as an energy source.
3. What is the second law of thermodynamics?
4. The average human male typically requires _A_ Cal/d
BIO-1 LAB 4 NOTES Pg. 1
1. Cells require _A_, _B_ and _C_
2. Most substances cross the cell membrane and move into the cell by a process called what?
3. Why is Passive Transport passive?
4. What are 3 modes of passive transport?
5. What is Plasmolysis?
LAB MIDTERM NOTES PG.1
1. What is the brightness control dial used for?
2. Why would you not want to use a kim wipe to clean a microscope?
3. Label the parts of the microscope. See Page 5
4. In science the information or knowledge that biology is based up
BIO-1 LECTURE 4 TR A/4 NOTES PG. 1
1. _A_ are the smallest unit of life
2. What are 7 common functions of Living Things?
3. What are 7 common structures of Living Things?
4. Cell theory is a _A_-based definition of living things
5. Living things are defin
BIO-1 LAB 9 NOTES PG. 1
1. _A_ is the branch of biology that looks at patterns of inheritance and the role of probability in
determining the offspring
2. The number of chromosomes _A_ from species to species
3. Humans have _A_ chromosomes or _B_ homologou
Chapter 1 Review Test
1. Which of the following is not part of marine biology?
a. the study of the chemistry of living things
b. the study of pollution
c. the study of ecosystems
d. the study of deep-sea vents in the o
The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 is a foundational labor law of the
United States which guarantees basic rights of employees to organize into trade
unions, engage in collective bargaining for better terms and conditions at
January 19th 2016
For essay 1, I plan to research and write about my dad. I have
chosen to write about him because he has been a major influential
leader throughout my life, and I want to le
Specific Purpose: to share how my influential leader has impacted
Central Idea/Thesis Statement: My dad has taught me a lot of what
I know now and has made me who I am today
I. I. (Attention Gette
January 19th 2016
For essay 1, I plan to research and write about my dad. I have chosen to write
about him because he has been a major influential leader throughout my life, and I
want to le
Cell Molecular Biology Study Guide #1 1st Law of Thermodynamics: This theory states that energy can neither be created nor
destroyed (energy consumed-expended=change in fat mass) There is storage of fat when
energy is not being expended or oxidized. The e
Cell Molecular Bio study guide #2
nutrient= a substance that is metabolized by or incorporated into an organism.
Essential nutrients= substances needed by plants in order to complete their
reproductive cycle, while avoiding the symptoms of nutrient defi
Cell Molecular Study #3
B-cells (for bursa cells) are small white blood cells, also called lymphocytes, whose
primary job is to make antibodies that attack bacteria and toxins. Each B-cell is covered on its
surface by thousands of B-cell receptors
Cell and Molecular Study #2
A final aspect of the adaptive immune system remains. Once they have ultimately
neutralized the invaders, most of the B- and T-cells die off. However, a few remain in the body
as memory cells in the event the body
Study Guide Exam I
1. Know all the steps of the scientific method
2. Know all the kingdoms and examples of each
a. Munera (Eubacteria)
Mt. SAC CSI The Tools
Biology is the scientific study of life. As a science, the information or knowledge
that biology is based upon comes from the process of applying the scientific
Study Guide Exam I
Know all the steps of the scientific method
Know all the kingdoms and examples of each
Know about the viruses and prions and the diseases associated with each
Know the the levels such as ecosystem, community,populations
CHAPTER 1ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS, THEIR CAUSES, AND
A fictional vision of a more environmentally healthy planet in the future uses which of the
following fuels and renewable energy resources?
a. underground heat only
Kinetic energy energy of motion; heat and light are types of kinetic energy Ball rolling down hill, burning (heat & light), moving car, exercise (mechanical heat)
Potential energy stored energy; capacity to perform work; chemical energy is potential e
Photosynthesis energy of sunlight is used to make organic molecules w ater enters plants through roots and CO2 is taken by leaves through openings called stomata ; converts light energy to chemical energy of food; leaves of plants are major sites of pho
Structure of Nucleotides: nitrogen base, a phosphate group, pentose (5 carbon sugar) Nitrogenous bases in DNA: purine: double ring structure Adenine and Guanine pyrimidine: single ring structure Thymine and Cytosine Nitrogenous bases in RNA: Thymine is re
Lac Operon: Inducible Operon; repressor is normally active 3 enzymes: beta-galactosidase, permease, transacetylase Transcription of the lactose Operon is controlled by 2 regulatory proteins. The CAP can bind to CAP binding site and facilitate transcriptio
Darwin and Evolution Charles Darwin aboard British naval vessel HMS Beagle; mission expand the navys knowledge of natural resources (water and food) in foreign lands; amassed observations that would eventually support another way of thinking and change th
5 conditions of Hardy Equilibrium Hardy Weinberg principle is in effect if the following 5 conditions are met 1. No mutations: allele changes do not occur; changes balanced 2. No gene flow: no migration of alleles into or out of population
The shift in population of peppered moths from 10% dark- colored moths prior to the advent of industry to 80% dark- colored moths after the advent of industry illustrates the process o m icroevolution and industrial melanism. Genetic drift is most likely
Chapter 25 Facts 1. A node occurs where leaves are attached to the stem. 2. In roots, certain epidermal cells have roots hairs which help anchor the
p lant and i ncrease the surface area for water absorption .
3. In older woody plants, the epidermis of th