CHAPTER 1. WHAT IS CHEMISTRY?
1.1 Science and Technology
Science The experimental investigation and explanation of natural phenomena Knowledge
from experience Asks how? or why?
Technology The application of scientific knowledge The use of knowledge in p
AVOGADROs NUMBER = 6.02 x 1023
NOTE: The last page of the test is a PERIODIC TABLE
1. (15) For each question, write the letter of the correct answer in the column on the right.
a) Two different elements that are in the same vertical column
1. (21) For each question, write the letter of the correct answer in the column on the right.
WRITE THE CORRECT LETTER IN THIS COLUMN
1. A chemical that donates (i.e., provides) protons in a chemical reaction is calledA) an aci
CHAPTER 2. THE NUMERICAL SIDE OF CHEMISTRY
2.1 Numbers in ChemistryPrecision and Accuracy
Two types of numerical quantities:
1. Exact numberno uncertainty The number 7 12 pennies
2. Measurementcontains uncertainty A penny is 2.0 cm.
Aspects of a measure
CHAPTER 3. THE EVOLUTION OF ATOMIC THEORY
3.1 Daltons Atomic Theory
Atoms proposed around 400 B.C. Took 2000 years to be accepted
Daltons atomic model (early 1800s) formulated explanations for a variety of laws
Law of conservation of matter When a reac
CHAPTER 6 : The Shape of Molecules
6.1 The Importance of Molecular Shape
Limits of Lewis dot diagrams
Show only connectivity
Do not show three-dimensional shapes
Molecular shapes define the physical and chemical properties of the molecule.
Why do we care
Chapter 4 The modern model of atom
4.1 Seeing the Light A new model of the atom
The modern model of the atom begins with the behavior of light.
Light is 2 different things at once :
1. Particles (packets) called photons
2. Waves of energy
Chapter 5 Chemical Bonding and Nomenclature
5.1 Ionic Bonding
Trends in electron motion
Metals tend to lose electrons.
Nonmetals tend to gain electrons.
When a sodium atom (group IA) reacts with a chlorine atom (group VIIA), each sodium atom
loses an ele
1. (18) For each question, write the LETTER of the correct choice in the space at the right.
-Which ONE of the following elements occurs naturally as diatomic molecules?
- A compo
The last page of the test
will be a Periodic Table.
REVIEW OUTLINE of TOPICS for TEST 1
You can bring one 3x 5
card of notes to the test.
UNIT 1: Measurement, Units, Scientific Notation - Sections 1.4, 2.6 and Appendix B
Understand the Metric System, incl