- Ask class what is an ode?/go over definition of an ode
An ode is a long lyric poem, serious and dignified in subject, tone, and style, often
written to celebrate an event, person, being or power-or to provide a vehicle for private
- introduce the idea of self-expression through poetry, and using poetry as a form of therapy.
- explain the I Am poem and have students write one as a preparatory exercise
- have students share their I Am poems
- read an example of a personal poem and di
Who am I? lesson plan
Objective: Have the students write poems about themselves/who they are in the style of
Gonzales I am Joaquin and Tafollas La Malinche.
Present the poems to the class and read them out loud
(I am Joaquin: http:/www.l
Share poems that were supposed to be done for homework (if they have not been
done, give students time to write and then share)
Make a list of the themes the students chose to write about. Are any of the themes
mentioned more than once? Discuss why each