Chapter 3: DNA Replication, Repair, and Recombination
1. A fragment of double-stranded DNA has 30 % G s, what percentage of A will this DNA
A) 60% A
B) 40% A
C) 30% A
D) 20% A
E) 15% A
2. DNA replication is
Chapter 5: Protein Structure and Function
1. The diffraction pattern obtained in X-ray crystallography represents
A) the electron density around each atom.
B) the arrangement of atoms in the crystalline lattice.
C) the dif
Chapter 2: Bioenergetics and Cellular Metabolism
1. Equilibrium is the point in a reaction where
A) the concentration of product = concentration of reactant.
B) the rate of reactant converted to product is equal to the rat
Chapter 1: What Is a Cell?
1. Which one of the following is least likely to be a constituent of a cell membrane?
C) Nucleic acids
D) Channel proteins
E) Transport proteins
2. Which of
Chapter 12: Actin
1. The actin cytoskeleton generates cell movement in the following way:
A) Directed polymerization of actin filaments against the plasma membrane.
B) The interaction of actin filaments and the motor prote
Chapter 9: Nuclear Structure and Transport
1. What is one advantage to a cell of having a nucleus?
A) Replication is more rapid because there are fewer proteins in the nucleus that can
B) The cell can have a
Chapter 4: Gene Expression and Regulation
1. A characteristic of RNA polymerase in humans that is different from bacterial RNA
A) that in humans, there are three distinct nuclear RNA polymerases and only one
Chapter 8: Protein Trafficking between Membranes
1. Which of the following is not a member of the endomembrane system responsible for
endocytosis and exocytosis?
A) The medial Golgi
B) The late endosome
C) The plasma membr
Chapter 11: Microtubules
1. Consider the following statements about the GTP cap in a microtubule. Which of these
statements are true?
I. It is found only on the plus end of the microtubule.
II. It is spontaneously lost ove
Chapter 10: Chromatin and Chromosomes
1. A nucleosome
A) adds extra nucleotides to the 3 end of chromosomes in the nucleus.
B) contains RNA that is not being translated.
C) contains DNA that is not being transcribed.
Chapter 7: Membrane Targeting of Proteins
1. In human cells, most secreted proteins are synthesized in/on the rough ER and
translocated across the
A) ER membrane post-translationally.
B) plasma membrane post-translationall
Chapter 6: Transport of Ions and Small Molecules Across Membranes
1. The orientation of an ion gradient across a stress-gated ion channel
A) determines whether negative or positive ions will pass through.
B) drives the mov