Apr 28th, 2016
Week 10 Homework
1. Starches, sugars and fiber. Carbohydrates can only be stored in limited quantities,
so the body is eager to use them for energy. The carbohydrates in food are
digested into small pieceseither glucose
Mar 27th, 2016
Week 6 Assignment
1. The pathogen that causes the flu is a virus called influenza.
2. Vaccines are made up of small amounts of weakened or dead versions of bacteria,
a virus, or another antigen, and stimulate the immune
June 2, 2016
Week 15 Homework
1. Sleep gives your body a rest and allows it to prepare for the next day. It's like
giving your body a mini-vacation. Sleep also gives your brain a chance to sort
things out. Scientists aren't exactly sur
April 3, 2016
Week 7 Assignment
1. Because the intention is to prevent animals have health issues so that they will not
2. Around 70 percent of the antibiotics are used in the animal agriculture industry.
The number is only a
May 1st, 2016
Week 10 Assignment
1. More use of oil and cheese and high calories food. More food served for each
meal. More people eat more and more people get obese. Medical attention is being
brought to people who suffer from obesity
Mar 10th, 2016
Weekly Homework #4
1. Stem cells are undifferentiated cells that can turn into differentiated cells and can
produce more stem cells.
2. Totipotent cells can form all the cell types in a body. Pluripotent cells can give r
Feb 25, 2016
Weekly Homework #2
1. DNA is known as Deoxyribonucleic Acid. DNA acts as a blueprint or a recipe for
a living thing. DNA is a molecular blueprint for a living thing. The purpose is to
tell Amino Acids how to line up and fo
May 5th, 2016
Week 11 Homework
1. Energy metabolism is generally defined as the entirety of an organism's chemical
processes. These chemical processes typically take the form of complex metabolic
pathways within the cell, generally cat
Mar 17th, 2016
Weekly Homework #5
1. Genetically modified organisms are any organism whose genetic material has
changed using genetic engineering techniques. Real examples would be
genetically modified food and plants.
2. Mostly for ge
May 19th, 2016
Week 13 Homework
1. Energy can be found in many things, and takes many forms. There is a kind of
energy called kinetic energy in objects that are moving. There is something that
scientists call potential energy in object
June 8th, 2016
1. Passenger pigeon, Tasmanian tiger, Pinta island tortoise.
2. A mass extinction is a dying out or termination of species.
3. Ordovician-Silurian-450 million years ago, Late Devonian-365 million years ago,
May 29, 2016
Week 14 Assignment
1. About 4-5 planets to provide enough resources.
2. About 19 global acres. Energy is the largest use of land.
4. Its less than USA. The living style is different and the average living cond
April 7, 2016
Weekly Homework #7
1. Cancer is a collection of related diseases. Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colon
and Rectal Cancer, Endometrial Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Leukemia, Lung Cancer,
Melanoma and Prostate Cancer.
2. Normal c
May 15, 2016
Week 12 Assignment
1. State water project, the Colorado River, ground water, and local streams and
reservoirs. The state water project travels 444 miles, the Colorado river travels
2. Approximately 1000 gallons
June 5, 2016
Week 15 Assignment
1. The importance of pain is relatively straightforward in this situation: without it,
we might not realise that we were touching a hot pan, for example, and could end
up causing irreversible nerve damag
Dr. Christine Goedhart
Feb 18, 2016
Week 1 Homework
1. There are seven common characteristics of life: living things are composed of
cells; living things have different levels organization; living things grow; living
Apr 24, 2016
Week 9 Assignment
1. The virus is living. The virus stays in the body and can cause birth defects.
2. Through the bite of an infected Aedes species mosquito, from mother to child,
through sexual contact and though blood tr
Apr 21st, 2016
Week 9 Homework
1. The human microbiome can be considered a counterpart to the human genome.
The genes in our microbiome outnumber the genes in our genome by about 100 to
1. The genomes that constitute the human microbio
May 22nd, 2016
Week 13 Assignment
1. Algae eat sunlight and carbon dioxide.
2. The extra sugar can be used for energy and fuel.
3. A biofuel is a fuel that is produced through contemporary biological processes,
such as agriculture and
May 8th, 2016
Week 11 Assignment
1. When you exercise, your muscles need fuel to burn. The fuels that muscles use are
glucose and fat. If youve ever checked your blood glucose level before and after
a bout of exercise or a brisk walk,
Mar 31st, 2016
Weekly Homework #6
1. Antibiotics are chemicals that kill bacteria.
2. Pneumonia, acne, bacterial infections.
3. They prevent the bacteria from multiplying themselves so they can let the hosts
cell fight and kill the bac
Mar 3rd, 2016
Weekly Homework #3
1. Meiosis makes cells that are different from each other. Meiosis makes sperm and
egg cells. Interphase, Prophase I
2. Meiosis makes sperm and egg cells. Interphase, Prophase II.
3. Nondisjunction is t
Mar 24th, 2016
1. Mosquitoes are vectors for many important diseases. Saliva is also a vector for
2. Vaccines can help develop immunity because it imitates the infection caused by
certain germs or v
May 12, 2016
Week 12 Homework
1. Climate is the average weather for a particular region over a long time period.
Climate describes the total of all-weather occurring over a long period of years in
a given place.
2. We can learn what at
May 26th, 2016
Week 14 Homework
1. About 7.4 billion people. About 9.6 billion people in 2050.
2. For the last 200 years, the population has been rising. The cause for the increase in
population is the high birth rate and more food sup
Citrus College Contemporary Topics: Biology 104
Required Text: What Is Life? 2nd Ed. Jay Phelan
Class time: _ Room:_
Professor: Monica Lee
OFFICE HOURS: TBA _MW 2:30-3:00_
Tentative Class and Exam