Psychoactive drug a chemical substance that alters perceptions and moods
Tolerance the diminishing effects w/ regular use of the same dose of a drug, requiring
the user to take larger and larger doses before experiencing the drugs effect
Module 42: Social Thinking
1. If we encounter a person who appears to be high on drugs, and we make the
fundamental attribution error, we will probably attribute the persons behavior to
a. moral weakness or an addictive personality.
b. peer pressure.
Module 24: Studying and Encoding Memories
1. A psychologist who asks you to write down as many objects as you can remember
having seen a few minutes earlier is testing your recall.
2. The psychological terms for taking in information, retaining it, and la
structuralism, p. 3
Module 1: What is Psychology?
early school of thought promoted by Wundt and Titchener; used introspection to
reveal the structure of the human mind.
functionalism, p. 3
early school of thought promoted by James and influenced by
Module 10: Drugs and Consciousness
substance use disorder: continued substance craving and use despite significant
life disruption and/or physical risk.
psychoactive drug: a chemical substance that alters perceptions and
tolerance: the diminishi
Psych Exam #4
a persons desire to approach another individual
the degree which you want to be that other person
when you begin to judge another person on how they ar
o Aesthetic Appeal
gets pleasure by
* cognition = thinking broadly conceived; sensation, perception, learning ,etc
-> overwhelming majority of cognitive activity = unconscious
-> conscious mind = relatively slow, plotting, inefficient; serial in nature (can
only do one thing at a time)
- psychology = the study of behavior (directly observable) and experience (can't see)
- our behaviors are constrained by the situations we're in, & the roles we play
- most behavior is undiagnostic and uninteresting
* don't get good meaning
Determinants of Success in the College Student
I. Reasons for Study
A. Theoretical - Critical Periods
= a period in our lives when dramatic changes occur in a short period of time and
will never be the same thing (fundamentally changes your life)