ABC Poll Notes
- 40% of Americans in the middle class are struggling, 52% comfortable
o Among those with college degrees, 75% are comfortable or moving up
o Among those without college degrees, 49% are struggling
- 45% of Americans are middle class, 39% w
- Staley strike since September 1992
- Building that are old, hot, and outdated, rooms full of fresh production, dusty or
explosive areas in refineries.
- Used with more chemicals and less safety. Propylene oxide, chlorine, sulfuric acid,
American Rights at Workplace
- Under current labor law system, employers use a combination of legal and illegal
methods to silence employees who attempt to form unions and bargain for better
wages and working conditions.
o Penalties are too weak to deter
Labor History Website 4
Mother Jones (1837-1930)
- Barely 5 feet tall, once labeled the most dangerous women in American by a
US district attorney.
- Mary Harris Jones was a fearless organizer for the Mine Workers between 1900
- Energy and passio
More Lockouts Article
- Employers are beginning to turn to lockouts to press their unionized workers to grant
concessions after contract negotiations deadlock.
- Gary Chaison, a professor of industrial relations at Clark university said lockouts
Struggle in the Heartland
- Workers locked out in June 1993
- Decatur police wear riot gear to intimidate workers nonviolently protesting with
- Support from clergy and citizens of Decatur and other places at protest at the Staley
Segment 2 Videos
- Seven policemen killed mostly by friendly fire
- Marshal law declared in Chicago after Haymarket incident with rules such as only
two people talking at a time on a street corner.
- Hundreds of labor leaders put into inner city
Labor History Website 2
- Coordinated strikes and demonstrations are held nationwide demanding an 8 hour
workday for industrial workers, May 1 1986
- May 3, Mccormick Reaper Works factory strike; several strikers killed in clash with
Michael Mauer: Union Members Complete Guide
Chapter 1: What Are Unions?
- A union is a group of workers who have chosen to band together to promote their
- Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes in 1937: union was essential to give laborers
Your Rights at Work
- Age discrimination that makes it harder to get hired, promoted, and treated fairly on
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects individuals 40 or
older from employment discrimination ba