Quiz 3 Fall 2012
1. The type of favorable bacteria that predominates in vacuum packaged fresh red meat is:
Fill in blank with the correct answer. (2 pt.)
2. Name two methods for vacuum packaging meat. (2 pts
Exam 4 Review
1. What are three reasons to aseptically process/package foods?
1. enable containers to be used that are not suitable for in-package
2. take advantage of HTST sterilization processes
3. extend shelf life of
Practice Exam 1
Deteriorative Reactions in Foods
Monomers and barriers look thru notes.
Foods are made up of what four major components?
Protein, Carbohydrates, Fats , and Vitamins and Minerals
For each, name subcomponents that can deteriorate and
Review Questions for Laboratory Exam 2
Meat Packaging Lab
1.What equipment was used in the meat packaging lab? Be able to describe the basic steps used
to package the meat samples for each type of equipment.
a. Heat seal vac-pac and placed meat in film ba
How is vacuum packaging used for the following red meat markets: distribution, retail
Distribution centralized packaged primal cuts of beef
Retail some retail display of fresh meat
Food service size cuts of be
Review Questions for Exam 2
Example: The following data has been obtained for a cookie which is considered to be
unacceptable once it has lost its crispness; it is stored at 79oF.
mi = 0.03 g water/g solids
me = 0.091 g water/g so