ATOMIC STRUCTURE AND INTERATOMIC BONDING
Electrons in Atoms
2.1 Cite the difference between atomic mass and atomic weight.
vi y re
Quiz 3 (Module 4)
In multiple choice questions, circle the correct answer or answers to all questions
1. Ceramics can have the following bond type (or types)
2. Many ceramics are compounds between metallic and
1. What is the difference between Materials Science and Materials Engineering (2 points)?
H cfw_ Materials Science focuses on the relationship between the structure and the properties of
Quiz 2 (Module 3)
1. Which eiystal system(s) has (have) the following interaxial angle relationship?
on : [3 : 'y = 90
Cubic, Tetragonal, Orthorhombic
2. Which crystal system(s) has (have) the following relationship for the unit cell edge length
Electrons have wavelike and
This means that electrons are in orbitals
defined by a probability.
Each orbital at discrete energy level is
determined by quantum numbers.
Quantum # Designation n = principal (energy
Phase Diagrams - II
Indicate phases as function of T, C , and P.
For this course:
-binary systems: just 2 components.
-independent variables: T and Co (P = 1 atm is almost always used).
Phase Equilibrium - I
When aluminum is cold worked:
A. Small precipitates form to block dislocation
B. The grains of aluminum divide and form
C. Shape changes because of a reduction in
D. Both A and B
E. None of the
Strengthening II and Failure I
Mechanical Property Alterations
Due to Cold Working
What are the values of yield strength, tensile strength & ductility after cold
4 x 100
Do = 15.2 mm
Dd = 12.2 mm
‘ r MS&E 210 Final Fall 2013
/% life are. 5 0000013“ Pmblamgm WK: mm) ggnel-lm m W ommrﬁ 3‘01“
( h 1. You have an oxide that has the rocksalt structure. The radius ofthe oxygen
Chi "A 0‘ m ion in 0.140 nm and the radius ofthe cation is 0.0695 nm. Calculat