Exam 2 Solutions
Part 1, closed book, notes, computer
Spring 2014 (updated 4/17/2014)
Q1 Lets say that you issue the following ping command on your Linux VM using
ping c 10 220.127.116.11. The c parameter specifies the number of iteration
Network security can be viewed as a subset of information
Information security includes procedures associated with
non-data items (e.g., physical paper, etc.).
Our focus is network security such that we have confidence that
Protocols and Layering
OSI Network Layer Model
Define the internet and the Internet
Copyright 2014 Jim Martin
OSI Network Layer Model
How do computers really communicate?
They need a physical connection.
Data is encoded and transmitted as energy.
Energy is decoded at the destination back into data.
Each form of energy has different properties and requirem
CPSC 4240: System Administration and Security
Lab 5: Brute-force Cracking
James M. Martin
April 23, 2014
This report details the procedure I followed and results I obtained for
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #5 Solution
From Exercise 3, a solution for bex1.sh is shown below.
if [ -z "$FILENAME" ] ; then
echo "Usage: ./bex1.sh [filename]"
if [ -e $FILENAME ] ; then
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #2
1. Using a browser on your VM download the ex2 package (if you have it installed on
your VM already then no need to do this step)
Remember, after you download the tar.gz file, issue a tar zxvf ex2.tar.gz to
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #9 Solution
1 True or False: Symmetric key cryptography requires two different keys, one for the
one for the encryption and one for the decryption.
Solution: False- it requires a single key that is
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #3 Solution
On our VM system, what is the name of our Shell program we use by default?
2. Show how you would run the ps aux command to show all active processes, pipe to
grep to l
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #8 Solution
All questions are related to the following simple network diagram:
VM1 - Router - VM3
We issue a ping from VM1 specifying VM3s IP address as the destination host.
Specifically, we issue
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #7 Solution
1. True or False: TCP/IP v4 IP addresses are 64 bits.
Solution: False.32 bits
2. True or False: A class A network supports more hosts than a class C
3. What are the two p
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #1 Solutions
1. True/False : The LTS in Ubuntu LTS standards for Long Term System.
Solution: False. Long Term Solution
2. True/False : Linux is distributed under the GNU General Policy License (GPL)
Solution: False . GN
CPSC 424/624 Quiz #6 Solution
1. True/False : A glass fiber physical medium is able to span longer distances than a
2. True/False: Time division multiplexing uses multiple carriers allow