Microbiology Lab 3051 (Fall 2016)
Mid-Term Laboratory Exam
Labs 1 - 5
1. Know the parts of the microscope and their functions.
2. Know how to use the microscope (adjusting for proper viewing, getting an image
in focus, using oil im
UNIT 1 STUDY GUIDE
1. Understand the importance of microorganisms (scope and relevance).
a. most populous and diverse group of organisms (94% found underground)
i. 5*10^30 bacteria on Earth
b. found virtually ever
1. Describe the growth of bacterial cells (binary fission).
a. Growth of bacterial cells can refer to an increase in cellular
constituents or to an increase in the number of cells
i. Binary Fission- the cell elongates, replicates its
Chapters 11.1 and 10.1 to 10.4
1. Know the requirements for microbial survival and growth and
a. Need a source of energy for cellular work, source of
electrons which are used in energy production and reducing
CO to form organic molecules, a
Chapter 11 (11.2-11.3 and 11.6-11.8)
1. Compare and contrast aerobic respiration, anaerobic
respiration, and fermentation in bacteria.
a. Respiration: involves the use of an electron transport chain; as
electrons pass through the ETC to the final electron
Tori Ashlyn Ervin
August 31, 2016
Lab Section: 5
Gram Stain Lab Report
This report represents my individual effort. I did not receive or offer aid to anyone when performing this
assignment, nor did I plagiarize any material.
The Gram Stain