Rules for Using Thermometers
Never use a thermometer as a stirring device.
Never swing or shake down a thermometer.
Never use an open flame on a thermometer bulb.
Use extreme care when inserting or removing a thermometer from a rubber stopper.
The Doppler effect
This chapter looks at the Doppler effect, the change in frequency of a wave when there
is relative motion between the source and the observer. The Doppler effect is a
fundamental wave phenomenon with many applications. This ch
Week 12 homework
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT WEBASSIGN:
In the WebAssign versions of these problems, various details have been changed, so that
the answers will come out differently. The method to find the solution is the same, but
you will need to repeat part o
Tita ni Xena
T: Ano ang kailangan niyo sa parish?
Nia: Gusto lang po naming malaman kung ano po yung nakagisnan niyo po na tradisyon?
T: Ang ginagawa dito. ito ay isang shrine. shrine. archdiocesan shrine ng parish of san jose de parel(?).
ang common na a
Solutions to Thermal Expansion Problems (Pt. 16)
We had the following thermal expansion Problems:
1)A vertical steel antenna tower is 200 m high. Calculate the change in height of the tower
that takes place when the temperature changes from -20 C on a win
16.107 L01 Jan 28/02
Let source move at vS0 towards stationary detector vD=0
Motion of S changes the wavelength of sound emitted
T=1/f is time between
emission of wavefronts
W1 and W2
For moving source and fixed detector
f ` = f [v/(v vS)]
A wave pulse is a
disturbance that moves
through a medium.
A periodic wave is a
periodic disturbance that
moves through a
medium. The medium
itself goes nowhere.
The individual atoms and
molecules in the medium
oscillate about their
Martina Joyce A. Macahiya
May 11, 2016
Spiritual Realm Life-Cycle Ceremonies
Sama Dilaut of the Tawi-Tawi is an ethnic group with a seaborne lifestyle, they
live in houseboats with their main family and travels together with the houseboats of
Interview # _
Former Kapitan of Banay Banay, Lipa City
Kap: Yung, ang ano kasi sa barangay? Ang kultura, kung ano?
Jasper: Ganito po.
Kap: Oh sige. Tanonge kung anong kwan at sasagutin ko kung alam ko kapag hindi e
Jasper: Sa diba po
AGGREGATE DEMAND (AD)
It is the total demand for final goods and
services in a economy at a given time.
The AD is a downward sloping curve.
Three Reasons why the AD Curve
Unemployment refers to the
joblessness within an economy.
Unemployment is defined by
the Bureau of Labor Statistics (
BLS) as people who do not have
a job, have actively looked for
work in the p
THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF
1. How many Americans visit casinos annually, and how much money do they leave behind?
2. How many people are employed in the casino industry? What is the tax contribution made
WHY COLLEGE TEXTBOOKS COST SO MUCH
1. What economic concepts are exemplified in the market for college textbooks?
2. How does a typical textbook come to market?
3. How is an author paid?
4. What are the components of
THE COST OF WAR
1. What is an opportunity cost, and what is the opportunity cost of war?
2. How does one calculate the opportunity cost of the troop deployment to Iraq?
3. How do forensic economists estimate the loss
The Economics of Terrorism
THE ECONOMICS OF TERRORISM
1. What are some of the economic costs (explicit and implicit) of the September 11 terrorism?
2. What are some of the costs incurred because of the attacks that would not ha
WAL-MART: ALWAYS LOW PRICES
(AND LOW WAGES) - ALWAYS
1. Which market structure best describes the grocery business? What are the four types of stores that compete
with one another in the grocery business?
2. What pro
IF WE BUILD IT, WILL THEY COME?
AND OTHER SPORTS QUESTIONS
1. How can a city acquire a sports franchise?
2. What contribution does a sports team add to a local economy?
3. What issues underlie the public funding of
THE STOCK MARKET AND CRASHES
1. What determines stock values?
2. How can a stock market advance economic growth?
3. How does a stock market help new small companies?
4. If markets are efficient what happens when a com
1. Under what conditions is the labor market perfectly competitive?
2. What determines the wage and the quantity of labor hired in a perfectly competitive market?
3. What is a monopsony?
4. What is the marginal res
1. Why is oil so important?
2. Give a brief history of oil prices since the 1970s.
3. Use geopolitical history to provide insight into why oil prices changed as they did over the last three decades.
PERSONAL INCOME TAXES
1. Assume that a typical college student who works at a part-time job is in the process of preparing a federal
income tax return. Answer the following questions pertaining to the tax return:
1. Compare a monopoly to a competitive industry with regard to price, output, producer and consumer surplus,
and dead-weight loss.
2. Why do economists worry about monopolies?
3. Why are monopolies less lik
Ticket Brokers and Ticket Scalping
TICKET BROKERS AND TICKET SCALPING
1. Why do fans and promoters sometimes consider scalpers predators?
2. What accounts for the unusual shape of the cost curve for promoters?
3. What is the p
1. What are rent controls? How did these laws start in the first place?
2. Describe the free market for rental housing in the supply/demand framework. What happens to consumer and
1. Why can farm policy in the United States be considered schizophrenic?
2. How have farm prices behaved over the latter half of the twentieth century?
3. What arguments are put forth in support of gover
The Economics of Race and Sex Discrimination
THE ECONOMICS OF RACE AND
1. What are the two types of discrimination? Define them.
2. From a legal standpoint, how do these two types of discrimination differ?
1. Comment on the nominal minimum wage versus its real value since the inception of minimum wages in 1938.
2. What is the traditional justification of the minimum wage?
3. Why would a minimum wage below
1. What is the Head Start Program? How and why did it begin?
2. What is the net present value?
3. How do you determine if an investment in our ability to create goods and services (our human capital) is
POVERTY AND WELFARE
1. What is the poverty line and how was it established?
2. Distinguish between the poverty rate and the poverty gap.
3. What is the socioeconomic profile of families in poverty?
4. How has the nu
THE ECONOMICS OF CRIME
1. According to Gary Beckers model of criminal behavior, what are the two main factors that determine crime?
2. What does Becker assume about the criminal? Why is this criticized?
3. What are