Homework Set #4
(Due Monday, Dec. 5, 2011, in class no extensions)
This homework will receive double credit on account of the number of problems.
(1) Problem 1 of chapter 6 of the textbook (Kinetic energy of electron gas).
(2) Copper has a mass density of
Homework Set #2
(Due Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2011, in class)
(1) Consider a 1-D crystal of lattice constant a, with a basis of 2 identical atoms of mass M
separated by a distance d (<a). Assume that any 2 consecutive atoms of this crystal separated
by d are j
Homework Set #1
(Due Monday, Oct. 3, 2011, in class)
(1) Problem 2 of Chapter 1 of the textbook.
(2) Show that the reciprocal lattice of an FCC lattice is a BCC lattice. Relate the lattice constants
of the direct and reciprocal lattices.
(3) Problem 5 of