AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) February 4, 2013
1. Old Saint Peter, Rome 333, reconstruction of the state of the church around the 5
century, plan and perspective view.
2. San Lorenzo, Milan ca. 5 century, interior and pla
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) February 6, 2013
1. Palatine Chapel, Aachen ca. 790-800, interior and plan.
2. Great Mosque, Crdoba 961-976, interior.
3. Third abbey church of Cluny (Cluny III), Cluny 1088-1130, model.
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) February 22, 2013
1. Andrea Palladio, Palazzo Chiericati, Vicenza 1550s-1560s.
2. Andrea Palladio, Villa Capra or la Rotonda, Vicenza ca. 1566-1570.
3. Andrea Palladio, Villa Capra or la Rotonda
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) January 28, 2013
1. Palace of Minos, Knossos ca. 1700-1400 BCE, plan.
2. Lion Gate, Mycenae ca. 1300-1250 BCE, view and detail.
3. Treasury of Atreus (or Tomb of Agamennon), Mycenae ca. 1300-125
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) February 13, 2013
1. Cologne Cathedral, Cologne 1248-1322 (the choir), completed during the 19 century.
2. Choir of the Cologne Cathedral, Cologne 1248-1322.
3. Prague Cathedral, Prague 1344
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) February 20, 2013
1. Arnolfo di Cambio, Florence Cathedral, Florence 1296 (begun) and Filippo
Brunelleschi, Dome of the Florence Cathedral, Florence 1420-1436, cross-section.
2. Filippo Brunelle
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) January 30, 2013
1. Opus incertum, opus reticulatum, and opus testaceum.
2. Maison Carre, Nmes ca. 1 century.
3. Temple of Vesta, Tivoli 1 century BCE, view and plan.
4. Theater of Marcell
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) February 11, 2013
1. Church of Saint-Denis, Saint-Denis 1140-1144.
2. Church of Saint-Denis, Saint-Denis 1140-1144, plan and vaults of the ambulatory and
radiating chapels of the choir.
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) January 23, 2013
1. White temple and ziggurat, Uruk ca. 3200-3000 BCE.
2. Ziggurat, Ur ca. 2100 BCE, northeastern faade with restored stairs.
3. Reconstruction drawing of the Citadel of Khorsaba
AH 205 - Introduction to Architecture (Prof. Paolo Scrivano) January 25, 2013
1. Doric and Ionic orders (after Gunnell).
2. Comparative proportions of the orders (after William Chambers).
Names mentioned during the lecture (in alphabetical order):
The Lands of the Bible: Iraq and Syria
Art history final review
18th century 1700-1785 (before french revolution)
-pleasure, pastel color, loss composition, outdoor, sexual theme
-Watteau, Boucher, Fragonard
Antoine Watteau, Pilgrimage to Cythera
Fragonard, Swing, 1766
From chiaroscuros early appearance during Renaissance to Baroque periods
popular technique of tenebrism, artists throughout the history have strived to intensify
a sense of drama using various artistic elements. Henri Regnaults Automedon with
the Horse of
Lecture 8- The Age of Alexander and Beyond
Wanted to conquer and change world Illiad was his
favorite book glory, war _
Beautiful , when he was a boy his father purchased a
horse for him the most magnificent of those times._
Issos direct combat with a kin
LECTURE 8: CHURCH AND CLOISTER: ROMANESQUE
Thursday, November 22nd, 2016
1. Caen (Saint-Etienne or St Stephen) c.1080 (12-34)/ Pont-du-Gard,
Nmes; Toulouse (Saint-Sernin) (12-7)
2. Pisa Cathedral, begun 1063, (12-29) and Caen (Saint-tienne) b
05-The High Renaissance: Leonardo
Leonardo da Vinci, Embryo in the Womb, ca.1510
less expensive paper
scientific spirit of the Renaissance
interest in natural world
Leonardo da Vinci, Madonna of the Rocks, ca.1485
The Idea of the Renaissance, I:
Fourteenth-Century Italian Art
February 25, 2016
Slide and Vocabulary List
Art and Artifice in Seventeenth-Century Art in Flanders and Spain
Juan sanchez citan
emergence of depiction of still life
represent perfection of objects
The High Renaissance: Michelangelo
Michelangelo, Piet, 1498
rival in defined beauty
Marys ageless beauty: an integral part of her purity and virginity.
from out to in, marble, every curve of drapery, every bend of fresh
virgin observe her son, perfect
The Development of Perspective and
Painting and Architecture in Italy
recession lines create sense of illusion of depth and meet at vanishing point
vanishing point is in the center of painting during renaissanc
The Idea of the Renaissance, I I:
Fourteenth-Century Italian Art