CHAPTER 22 - Midterm Review Questions
1. How did the U.S. gain access to the Chinese market?
- Textile producers dreamed of (not care) clothing Chinas millions => investors
envision railroad construction
- As Chinas 250 year old Manchu empire grew weaker
CHAPTERS 19 - Midterm Review Questions
1. Describe the new immigrants and their problems of adjusting to a new life.
+ New immigrants: Italians, Slavs, Greeks, and Jews from southern and eastern
Europe, Armenians from the Middle East,
CHAPTERS 20 & 21 - Midterm Review Questions
1. What changes did the Pendleton Civil Service Act bring? Why was there a need for
civil service reform?
- 1883: Pendleton Civil Service Act: sets up 4 new changes:
+ Set up commission (y ban) to prepare compet
REVIEW FOR FINAL EXAM
1. Reasons for the westward expansion.
Old Northwest and Old Southwest (Area between the Appalachians and
Mississippi River) today: Mid-west
Far West (region west of Rocky Mountains)
Increased immigration from Europe
CHAPTERS 23 - Midterm Review Questions
1. Who were the winners and losers during the business boom in the 1920s?
- Winners: Business interest group
+ electrification and electrical products
+ Automobile industry
+ Stock market
+ Production facilities or r
Midterm Exam Review Questions
1. Whats the origin of the word civilization? Many European scholars of the old school
made a distinction between civilization and culture. Explain their concepts of
civilization and culture.
2. Explain briefly the
CHAPTERS 17 & 18 - Midterm Review Questions
1. Describe the diversity of the ways of life and customs of Indians of the Great Plains.
Life divided in 3 groups:
- Settled, agriculture of life
- Semi-sedentary, based on small-scale agriculture, deer and bis
Final Exam Review Questions
Reasons for the westward expansion.
Describe social and public activities of Americans living in the west.
What led to the Indian Removal Act and the Trail of Tears?
What factors led to the growth of
CHAPTERS 24 - Midterm Review Questions
1. What caused the Great Depression and how did President Hoover respond?
- Structural problems
Depressed agricultural sector
Wage increases in industrial sector lagged behind factory output, reducing