1. What music styles and cultural characteristics influenced the music and sound of
Fats Domino? Fats Dominos came from South, so his music from New Orleans.
2. Click on the Fats Domino videos below to view, listen, and write a musical
Luong Ba Duong
Professor James Cauter
January 29, 2017
Spiritual -> religious music song, a Cappella in Church also out
Chaper 9, the beginning, that the huge
1960 totally blue space.
Its beautiful -> when so play for you.
We are society, were getting blue
70 yo -> still play R&B -> become the major.
SUN (Sam Philips a white man in a racist soci
Duong Ba Luong
11 February 2017
Capitol Label -> 1963 , said we dont think our music can sell
Which song they want to adun
Geo Martin -> contrast
Musician didnt -> nothing to do without make money.
British long hair: shake the head
Lesson 3 Questions
1. Complete the following sentence from Friedlander, "The years between 1959 and
1963 were . . . ."
a time of transition for popular music
2. According to Friedlander, what were some of the reasons that "hastened the demise
of the fifti
Luong Ba Duong
31 January 2017
1. Ba-Benjelle Pygmies from Central Sub-Saharan Africa: At first, I hear lots of dissonance woman
voices, come with hand-clapping sound. The voices seem they are combined with 3-5 people,
and they si
1. Listen to and describe the following three songs by The Yardbirds:
"Louise" a John Lee Hooker composition; this performance features Keith Relf singing and playing blues
harmonica, and Eric Clapton on electric guitar (Links to an external site.)
Lesson 4 Questions
1. For this writer, The Beatles were the greatest musical group to exist in the 20th century. Much has
been written since their break up in 1969. This was expanded in the period following the assassination of
John Lennon in December of
1. What kind of social environment was there in San Francisco, California during the 1960's?
San Francisco was the center of hippie and other alternative culture.
2. Read Friedlander's chapter about the San Francisco Bands and the "San Francisco Sound". L
1. Jazz-Rock Fusion is a wonderful marriage of elements from both genres. Believing that there was
more to be done than just coast on their laurels, innovative jazz musicians began to use electronic
keyboards, amplify acoustic instruments-adding distortio
1. The roots of rock and roll are clearly African-American in origin. Much of the indigenous music from
West African cultures features musical characteristics that are prevalent in rock and roll. Listen for some
of the following musical characteristics in
Giving some information about one song presentation
1) Sonny Terry & Brownie MC Ghee
Genres: Blues, Folk
2) Song: Sonnys Squall
No composer name (usually happened in Folk music)
Sonny Terry: p