(3)the most recent common ancestor between sharks/rays & lizards is the same as
the most recent common ancestor between sharks/rays & ray-finned fishes
cfw_ kangaroos, koalas means todays kangaroos, todays koalas, and all their ancestors
Biology 180 Exam 1
January 23, 2017
1. Some cows are treated with a growth hormone (called rBGH), while some are not. Milk from rBGH-treated cows is
approved for sale in the United States, but not in Canada or the EU. There are concerns (but very few
Biology 180 Study Questions: Phylogenies
Write answers for each question, giving yourself ~3 minutes each. (Thats about exam pace.)
Meet with your study group of ~4 people.
Compare answers for each question & discuss. Chall
Bio180 : Lecture 26
1. A behavior increases fitness if its benefits outweigh its costs.
2. Behaviors can help us infer an organisms daily trials
(eating, mating, not dying, etc).
1. Why is the male peacock displaying to the female peahe
Bio180 : Lecture 27
Earth: Wind & Water
1. Rising air rains, falling air does not.
2. We can track where water travels on Earthespecially if we
know elevations and winds.
Winds generally blow West to East
(left to right) over Washington
Where are deserts?
Bio180 : Lecture 24
1. Different creatures may rely on the same limited resources;
this causes competition.
2. Coexistence often involves a separation of resources used.
1. Is this competition? Why or why not?
2. How might prairie dogs & groun
Bio180 : Lecture 13
Patterns of Natural Selection
1. Evolution = a change in allele frequencies.
2. Evolution can be caused by: selection, migration, drift, mutation
3. How does the heritable variation affect reproductive success?
Different answers lead t
Bio180 : Lecture 15
Mutation & Drift
Learn the names of the people
to your immediate left & right.
1. Evolution can be caused by: selection, migration, drift, mutation
2. Drift = the difference between probabilities and what actually happens.
Reproduction System (RS) Major Functions
No Birds and the Bees just new vocab.
1. Production of Gametes- RS produces *Gametes: (sperm cells) in the
testes/male. *Oocytes: (eggs) in ovaries/female.
2. Fertilization- RS enables fertilization of oocyte by sp
Major Urinary System Functions
1. Excretion- Remove waste (toxic) from blood. Also assists liver in detox
Major excretory organs of the body. Waste is metabolic by-products of cells (tissues)
and substances absorbed from intestines (medicine, drugs, you a
Factors to Consider: Metabolic Rate
*Metabolic Rate is a sum of all Metabolic (anabolic and catabolic) processes
in the body
Changes according to activity
Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the minimum resting energy expenditure of
an awake and alert person me
Unknown Bacteria Identification Lab Report
The purpose of this lab is to use the skills and knowledge gained in previous lab experiments to
accurately identify a set of two unknown bacteria. This includes the use of gram staining
Bio 213 Section 02
Lab #5: Transpiration
May 19, 2016
Lab 5: Transpiration and Stomata: A Cherry Laurel Case Study
We decided to test the effects of damage to leaves, replicating being eaten or damaged by
animals. We postulated that cu
Bio213 Lab 1
Evolution by Natural Selection in Paperus dottis var. Holepunchii
A) The numbers of surviving dots in the first generation for both exercises one and two did
not have the same distribution colors. While there were similari
Fungi-The Rotten World Around Us is a fun, retro look into the life and diversity of
fungi. While some would think of this film as dated and perhaps even melodramatic at times with
its multiple references to the occult, the devil,
Unknown Identification Lab Report
The objective of this exercise was to utilize the skills and information we have accumulated over
the course of this class. We needed to practice aseptic technique, proper gram staining