- Before the settlers came, the continent of North America was a land full of natural resources. The Native American people honored the land, air, and water, and lived simple, mostly peaceful lives.
- Levy, rasing or collecting money as in taxes or somet
- A system is a group of related parts that, when working together, perform a higher function as a whole.
- Systems can be as small as atoms working together, or as large as the solar system.
- There are four types of systems.
The parts of m
- Wave, a patterened disturbance found in light, sound, water, and elsewhere
- Transverse, light waves are this type
- Longitudinal, sound waves are this type
- Vibration, move or cause to move continuously and rapidly to and fro
- Crest, the top of a wav
- Atom, the basic unit of matter and the smallest part of an element.
- Molecule, a group of two or more atoms linked together in a chemical bond.
- Proton, positively charged particle.
- Physical Property, a characteristic of matter that does not involve
- A force is a push or a pull, and different types of forces effect all matter.
- velocity, speed
- newton, unit of force
- inertia, tendency to stay at rest
- force, a push or a pull
- friction, surface rubbing against another
- gravity, the force of th
- Phase change, melting from a solid to a liquid, for example
- Evaporation, phase change of a liquid to a gas
- phase, could be gas, liquid, or solid
- mixture, two or more elements or compounds combine physically but not chemically =
- atomic mass, tell
- Scientists make observations about the world, and then conduct experiments to explain the observations. Protocol, or how the experiment is designed and then conducted
- Zoology, the study of animals
- Geology, the study of the Earth such as rocks minera
- the elements involved in the equation (carbon-C, hydrogen-H, and oxygen-O), and what else is needed to breakdown the lactose (water-H2O).
- It is also important to know that bacteria, which grow and multiply in warm or old milk, are the organisms that
- Gravity the force that pulls all matter towards Earth.
- Almost everything that ever happens on Earth involves gravity in some way.
- Gravity is doing things inside your body without you even realising it.
- When long-term astronauts spend months or eve
- Evolutionary theory tells us that all living organisms are related (some more distantly than others)!
- Taxonomy, the science of classification
- Scientific Name, genus and species; ex: homo sapiens
- Species, humans are one type; nurse sharks are anoth
Taxonomy Research Assignment
Carl Linnaeus named the reindeer species.
1) The 4-human related threats to seagrasses are caused mostly by
human development. The most common are: Excessive dredging,
careless boating, chemical waste in the sewers, and garbage.
a. Excessive dredging due to the accommodation of
- Convection, heat transfer through a liquid or gas
- Conduction, heat transfer through a solid
- Endothermic, a reaction that uses heat energy
- Exothermic, a reaction that gives off heat energy
- Radiation, heat transfer from a light source
- Nuclear reaction, process that makes alpha particles from hydrogen nuclei as a result of high temperatures and pressures; this produces the sun's energy in its core
- Light reaction, first phase of photosynthesis, in which light is captured and transfor
An algal bloom is an accumulation of algae (typically microscopic) or a
rapid increase in their amount in a body of water. Algal blooms may occur in
freshwater as well as salt water. Algal blooms are often caused by
- Thermodynamics, the science of heat and energy and its laws
- Conservation, total energy remains the same
- First law, an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upo
Heat Transfer Assignment
1) Two examples each of conduction, convection, and radiation that are
not already mentioned in the content or activities in this lesson are,
(conduction) touching a stove and being burned, ice cooling down your
hand, boiling wate