Grading Scale, Fourth Writing Assignment (Final Paper)
MMW 14, 15 and 22
Assignments that are incomplete will not be accepted, and will be considered late until they
have all required components. In order to be considered complete, an assignment must
Outline Lecture Two-Expressions of the Modern Psyche
I) The Crisis of Meaning in the West
a) Impact of The Great War
i) Growing doubt about the pillars of Western civilization:
ii) Questions about Europes narrative of progress
(1) Why war? Why beauty? eve
Outline Lecture SixThe Cold War and the Arms Race
1) How did the Cold War originate?
2) How did it evolve and expand in scale?
3) What were its global and domestic repercussions?
I) The Origins of the Cold War
a) Agreements near the end of
Outline Lecture NineChallenges for the 21st Century
Reminders for Final: -Friday Sep 2nd from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
-Bring an unmarked blue-book
I) An Equitable Third Way?
a) Beyond a Capitalist/Communist Binarism
i) Key global challenge of distributing
Outline Lecture Three: Decolonization or Neo-colonialism?
I) A World Safe for Democracy?
a) Amritsar, India in 1919
i) Peaceful civilian demonstrations staged against the Rowlatt Bills
ii) General Reginald Dyers response
(1) Dyers subsequent rationale
Outline Lecture FourDisorders of a Decade: 1929-1939
1) How did capitalist democracies try to survive in the wake of crises like W.W. I and the
2) How did they respond to the appeal of opposing ideologies economically, soc
Outline Lecture FiveWorld War II and the Banality of Evil
1) How did fascist leaders convince so many law-abiding, reasonably sane and potentially
humane individuals to cross the threshold of their own humanity?
2) How can the lowest common
Outline Lecture SevenExistentialism and Social Relations
1) Is existentialism the answer to the problems of conformity in mass society?
2) The existentialist concerns of modern feminism
I) Age of Spiritual Forlornness in the West
a) Does God Ex
Outline Lecture EightThe Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s
1) What are the dangers of conforming to the status quo when that status quo is based on
injustice and inequality?
2) What social iniquities remain unresolved since the 1960s?
Fourth Writing Assignment: Final Draft
MMW 14 and MMW 22
Length: 8-10 pages
Due: Week 10, in section
Below is a list of the criteria your final draft should meet. Most important are the substantive
aspects, such as the quality of your thesis and the appro
Summer Session II 2016
Midterm Review Guide
(This is meant to be a review guide, not the exam itself. Ultimately, you are accountable for all the
key materials in the readings and lectures for weeks 1-3.)
Midterm accounts for 30% of you