Microbial Nutrition and Growth
Microbial growth is (def.) the increase in a population of a microbe. Reproduction results in growth, and
the result of a microbial growth is a discrete colony. A discrete colony is an aggregation of cells arising
from a sin
Classifying and Characterizing Prokaryotes Personal Questions
1. What are the deeply branching bacteria? What types of habitats do these bacteria live
in? What are two examples?
2. What are phototrophic bacteria?
3. Describe cyanobacteria. What are hetero
Microbiology Personal Questions
1. What did Hooke, Leewenhoak, Cohn achieve?
2. How did Needham and Spallanzani contribute to the spontaneous generation debate?
3. How did Pasteur disprove spontaneous generation? What is the process of
A Brief History of the Founding Fathers of Microbiology and Classifying of Microorganisms
The early years of microbiology
Robert Hooke from 1635-1703 was the first to describe microbes in his famous book
Micrographia. He illustrated the fruiting structur