Adapted from Paragraph Development
Compare the articles you read
Take a look at the three articles:
The Caveman diet
Theres no Reason to Eat Meat
Obesity: A public health failure
How are they the same?
How are they
FOR ESL WRITING AND SPEAKING
Why do we create definitions?
To clarify for the reader / listener an
outdated, little known or possibly
To provide the reader / listener with a better
understanding of an important or complex
TASK 1 (in class)
Create using your own words an extended definition of the word self. Use any three methods that
were outlined in the Writing Definitions PowerPoint presentation: word origin/etymology,
examples, similarities and differences, negation and
The Phrasal Verb Page (http:/www.eslcafe.com/pv/)
A useful site for learning two-word verbs
ESL Idiom Page (http:/www.eslcafe.com/idioms/)
This site provides lists, definitions, and examples of many useful
Common Errors in Eng
Grammar Log Assignment
The purpose of the grammar log is so that you can see the types of grammar mistakes you make and
practice correcting them.
1. Create a table such as the one below.
2. Look at the underlined and annotated sections of your marked pape
Vocabulary List for Quiz 1
The Caveman Diet
Theres No Reason to
Abolish V ,
Vocabulary list 3
Country in the
Put a positive spin on
Corruption* n. ;
Generosit*y n. , ,
Title: Review of verb tenses.
Directions: Complete the sentences with the words in parentheses. Use any appropriate tense.
Almost every part of the world (experience) _ an earthquake
in recent years, and almost every part of the wo
Obesity Vocabulary Exercises
work in conjunction with
merit serious consideration
prove a hypothesis
1. I _ a play I was in because I forgot all my lines and
Title: Error analysis
Directions: Correct the errors.
My brother is older from me.
A sea is more deeper than a lake.
A donkey isnt as big to a horse.
Ellen is happiest person Ive ever met.
When I feel
Can money buy happiness?
1. Gun control in the United States is a very _ issue that is causing a divide.
2. Canada is a country that offers social programs that provide economic and social assistance to
citizens in need. This type of
Denmark is Considered the Happiest Country Vocabulary Exercises
1. In the medieval times, _ was very important to keep the enemies out of
2. Yui has a long _ to her workplace.
3. My friend, Maria, was the _ of a $20,000 scholarship. She was very
Have you ever created an online profile?
If so, where? Why?
Look at these two profiles.
Where do you think they came from?
Highly personable Customer Service Professional
with over three years of experience in customer
Consequences of Social Class
1. The acceptance rate to the Harvard University is very low. Every year thousands of people apply
to the _ university, but only around 6% are accepted.
2. Henry feels that the world is in a _ state because of the increased
The Caveman Diet Vocabulary Exercises
1. Here in Canada, during the winter, we usually receive an _ a
SUMMARY WRITING 2
On the following slide, I have written a summary of the text,
Take note that in the first sentence, I have included the
author, the title of the article and the main idea.
Also notice how many times I refer to the aut
FOR ESL STUDENTS
WHAT ARE VERBS?
VERBS CONVEY ACTIONS (CRAWL, WALK, RUN, ETC.), INCIDENCES
(HAPPEN, OCCUR, TAKE PLACE, ETC.) AND STATES OF BEING (BE, LOVE,
VERBS CONVEY A SENSE OF TIME THROUGH FORM AND TENSE.
SOME VERBS MUST AGREE WI