BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE 136 BIOLOGY OF HUMAN SEXUALITY NAME_
ONLINE BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE 136
BIOLOGY OF HUMAN SEXUALITY
SUMMER 2015 JUNE 1, 2015
ONLINE FIRST EXAMINATION
YOU MAY NOT COPY AND PASTE FROM ANY SOURCE. YOU MUST DO YOUR
OWN WORK AND WRIT
90. What is a hormone receptor? What kind of basic macromolecule are hormone
receptors (chemically what are hormone receptors?)
A hormone receptor is a molecule that can bind to a specific hormone. Receptors for
peptide hormones tend to be found on the pl
Find the Click Here to View the Pregnancy & Development Homework Slides button on the
Go to these slides and click through the slides and answer the following questions. You will also
need to search the internet and/or your textbook for so
27. What is a peptide? What is a protein?
Proteins are large chains of amino acids held together by peptide bonds. Naturally occurring proteins are
made of just 20 different kinds of amino acids. Amino acids are a special type of organic compound that
21. Is fat a lipid? What is a lipid?
LIPIDS (FATS, FATTY ACIDS AND CHOLESTEROL, ETC.)
Lipids are diverse compounds that consist mainly of hydrogen and carbon atoms in long chains.
Lipids are hydrophobic = they are not soluble with and don't mix into water
60. What is an organelle?
organelle = a compartmentalized structure with a specialized function in a cell.
A structure or part that is enclosed within its own membrane inside a cell and has a particular function.
Organelles are found only in eukaryotic ce
Why is sex so important to the process of evolution? (genetically, what does sex
Sex generates variability among offspring. The diversity of your offspring will provide
challenges,againest parasites, viruses, competitors.
Sex generates variat
11. Briefly define each of the terms (eg. atom, molecule, tissue, etc.) in the flowchart
you did for #9.
ATOM that is the fundamental unit of matter (formed of protons, neutrons and electrons)
and these bond together to form a
MOLECULE that is made of ato
List at least 5 different specific study skills/activities you can do to help maximize
your success in this course.
Generally, what is your learning style(s)?
List 3 different reasons why people/animals have sex.
1. Procreation or propagation of
Describe the basic effects of FSH and LH in both the male and female
(what does FSH do in males and females, what does LH do in males and females make
LH functions to initiate androgen production while FSH develops the S
Bascially, how did views on homosexuality change in China over the past 2,000
HOMOSEXUALITY IS RECOGNIZED IN WRITING FROM 2000YEAR AGO- IT WAS
WIDESPREAD AMONG THE UPPERCLASSES IT WAS KNOW AS THE GOLDEN AGE OD
HOMEOSEXUALITY IN CHINA. In 1949
What is cryptorchidism? Would a man who has cryptorchidism have a normal,
abnormally high or abnormally low FSH level in his blood?
Cryptorchidism is when the testes neglect to descend into the scrotum prior to
A man with cryptorchidism has ab
40. What is the name of the gonad in females? (gonads are the primary organs of sex)
41. What is the name of the gonad in males?
42. If the level of testosterone made up the testes increased greatly what would
happen to the level of LH rele
How many sperm per cc of ejaculate are normally found in a normal man's
60 million sperm/cc of ejaculate.
Draw a diagram of and label the three basic parts of the structure of a sperm.
Explain the basic function of each part of a sperm.
30. How does the tertiary structure of a protein differ from the quaternary structure of
31. What type of chemical bond stabilizes alpha helices and beta pleated s
50. What are the two basic functions of the ovary?
51. List 3 basic tenets of the cell theory.
. All living things are made of cells.
2. Cells only arise from pre-existing cells by division. (spontaneous generation does not occur)
3. Cells are made of