Concert Report: Concert Band Concert
This last Sunday I attended a concert band concert in the Garvin theater located at the SBCC campus.
I bought tickets weeks ahead, and was prepared to have a good time. I got there and met up with a
couple of class mat
Music class notes oct 15th
Ludwig Van Beethoven: (1770 1827)
German composer and pianist
Unhappy childhood; violent dad
Played piano for Mozart in Vienna
Welcomed in Vienna
Treated as equal, not as a servant
Beethovens Work (
Concert Report: Concert Choir and Chamber Singers
On Saturday December 5 th I attended the Santa Barbara Concert Choir and Chamber Singers. The
event was stationed at The First United Methodist Church in Santa Barbara. I bought my tickets ahead of
Concert Report: Jazz Choir
On Sunday December 6th , 2015 I attended a Jazz Choir Concert. The concert was held in the
church of The Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara. I got my tickets weeks before, and got my GPS set up.
This is the only concert I had to
Music class notes oct 13th
Beethovens 5th symphony cyclical structure repeating thematic elements
Wolfgang Mozart (1756-1791) Mozart requiem; symphony 40 (listen)
o Was raised in Austria
o His father was Leopold Mozart; composer and violinist of the arc
The music of the early Christian church, called Gregorian chant, features monophonic,
nonmetric melodies set in one of the church modes, or scales.
Chant melodies fall into three categories (syllabic, neumatic, melismatic) based on
Music 110 T&W 11:10-12:30
4th December 12
Concert Report No.4
I attended the Santa Barbara City Colleges Jazz Ensemble Concert on Monday,
December 3rd, 2012 in Garvin Theatre in SBCC west campus. The admission price for this
concert is 10 doll
10 December 12
Concert Extra Credit
I attended the Santa Barbara City Colleges Symphony Concert on Sunday,
November 18, 2012 in Garvin Theatre in SBCC west campus. And the admission price
for this concert is 10 dollar
Music 110 T&W 11:10-12:30
13th November, 12
Concert Report No.2
I attended the Santa Barbara City Colleges Music Now! on Friday, November 9,
2012 in Garvin Theatre in SBCC west campus. And the admission price for this concert is
10 dollars. Wh
4 December 12
Concert Extra Credit
I attended the Santa Barbara City Colleges Fall Chamber Concert on Sunday, October
28, 2012 in Fe Bland Forum in SBCC west campus. The admission price for this concert is 15
Music 110 Study Guide for Exam 3
Baroque Era: 1600-1750
Classical Era: 1750-1825
Claudio Monteverdi: Baroque period. Italian composer. Compose Orfeo and
Arianna, and Poppea. In Monteverdis opera, the innovations of Flo
Chapter 10 Musical Ensembles
1. Choral Music: for religious purposes and for no spiritual occasions.
2. Chorus: large body of singers who perform together, their music is usually sung in
several voice parts. Many groups include both men and women, but cho
Chapter 9 Western Musical Instruments
1. The groups of western instrument: strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion.
2. String instruments: all chordophones, includes two types of instruments: bowed and
Bowed: violin (subtle nuances from soft to
Chapter 7 Musical Expression: Tempo and Dynamics
1. Tempo: the rate of the speed of the music. Tempo carries emotional implications.
2. Dynamics: the volume (degree of loudness or softness) at which music is played.
3. Loudness (forte) and softness (piano
Chapter 6 Musical Form
1. Form: refers to a works structure or shape, the way the elements of a composition
have been combined, or balanced, by the composer or make it understandable to the
2. Repetition and contrast: repetition fixed the mater
Chapter 5: Musical Texture
Texture: melodic lines may be thought of as the various threads that make up the
musical fabric, or the texture.
Monophonic: 1 melodic line, no accompaniment (performed solo, then chorus).
Heterophonic: two or more v
Chapter 4: The Organization of Musical Sounds
1. Octave: an interval spanning eight notes of the scale.
2. Half steps: the way the octave is divided into twelve semitones.
3. Whole step: the distance between C and D is two half steps, or one whole step.
Chapter 3 Harmony: Musical Space
Chord: three or more tones are sounded together.
Harmony: describes the simultaneous sounding of notes to form chords and the
progression from one chord to the next. Harmony implies movement and pro
Unit 2 Rhythm and Meter: Musical Time
Rhythm: the movement of music in time
Beat: the basic unit of rhythmit is the regular pulse that divides time into equal
Accented beats: some beats are stronger than others
Chapter 1 Melody: Musical Line
1. Melody: a succession of single pitches that we perceive as a recognizable whole.
Each melody has its own character based on its range, contour and movement.
2. *Range: the distance between the lowest and highest notes. We