Chapter 11 Personality
- Unique set of consistent characteristic patterns of thinking, behavior, and
- Personality is different from CHARACTER
o Cultural based idea on morality or what makes a good person or a bad
Chapter 15 Social Psychology
- The study of how people influence one another
- Different from sociology because sociology focuses on groups of people and
explores culture, subculture and societies
- Social psychology focuses on behavior,
Chapter 14 day 1
History of treatment
o Specialized living facilities for the mentally disordered
Created by churches in the 16th century
Suffered from poor living conditions and overcrowding
o Due to terrible conditions in asylums in the late
Chapter 13 Final day
Schizophrenia and D.I.D
Schizophrenia involves a disruption of basic psychological processes
Disturbances in thought, emotion, and behavior
Faulty perception and attention
Lack of or inappropriate emotional expre
Chapter 9 Motivation and Emotion
- Using a stimulus to initiate and direct behavior, feeling and thinking
o Anything that energizes and directs behavior towards goal
- Motivation operates through positive and negative reinforcement/re
The documentary focused on young women that struggled with eating disorders such as
anorexia. All the young women in the movie were at a treatment center to try and get help for
their disorders. The
Corey Hirsch NHL Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
o Now Im 22 years old, and Ive made it to the NHL. I have my
whole life ahead of me. And none of it matters.
Charles Haley NFL Major Depressive Disorder
o I walked into the league a 22-year-old man with a 1
Growth = quantity
Development = quality
Senesce = aging process
Longitudinal = following over a long period of time
(ex. Age 2-20)
cross-sectional = compare different age groups
(fine motor skills of 2 y/o vs. 5 y/os)
Notes from 11/03
Germinal period: conception end of week 2
Embryo period (3-8th)
Fetal (9 weeks to 40 weeks)
When it has 8 cells; begin to differentiate and specialize
At 8/9 days: egg drops into
4 MAIN ETHICAL SAFEGUARDS TO PROTECT PARTICIPANTS
1. Informed consent
2. Leave at any time
The Major Psychological Models
1. Psychophysiological: ROGER SPERRY
2. Psychodynamic: FREUD
3. Behavioristic: JOHN WATSON
What are the 2 Fundamental principles governing both prenatal and
1. Cephalocaudal: from head to tail- -or top to bottom Ex: prenatal
brain and spinal cord brain first then spine: neck isnt strong so you
3 periods of development
1. Germinal: First 2 weeks of conception
a. Creation of zygote into blastocyst inner part ( becomes
embryo) and triploblast- outer part implants uterine wall and
2. Embryonic: 3 tissues
1. Miscarriages: unexpected expulsion of fetus
a. Severe structural abnormality via genetic issue
b. Infection of the uterus
c. Uterine lining problems
d. Severe shock
2. Placenta previa:
a. 1 in 200 women placenta implants partially or ful
What is lifespan development?
Lifespan development is a field of study that examines growth, change,
and stability, that begins at the moment of conception and continues
throughout the human lifespan.
The domains of human development:
The history of lifespan development:
Before the 20th century it took 5000 years of human history to extend the
human life expectancy by 25 years.
- Oldest living person documented: Jeanne Calment of france 122
GENOTYPE VS PHENOTYPE:
Genotype: genetic makeup
Phenotype: how the genes are expressed
1. Down syndrome: Trisomy 21
2. Turners syndrome: Genetic female but expressed X(O) - no breasts,
sterile, normal IQ tend to be good at language a
TERATOGENS: any chemical substance or environmental agent that can
cause birth defects
GREATEST SENSITIVITY IN THE FIRST 2 MONTHS AND PEAKS AROUND 4
WEAKS AFTER CONCEPTION
1. Rubella: German measles causing deafness, mental retardation,
Middle/ Late childhood: 1. Team play
2. Elementary years
3. Cognitive process become more mature
4. Reading, writing, arithmetic skills are mastered
5. Achievement becomes a central theme
6. Self control increases
7. Ends with onset of puberty
Babies are about 7-6.5 lbs used to be smaller
20 inches in length; head big in correlation to the body
Molding: Cone shaped head.
Skull is soft so you have to rotate them
Soft spots: fontanelles : front longer to close (18 months) in back
Psychology: Saturdays Class
Driving with Your Brain
The medulla is allowing any driver to breath and have normal heart beat so you can focus on
what youre doing and where you plan on going.
The reticular formation helps driver
At what level of moral
development are the rules and
standards of society internalized and
held as ones own?a.
41. Kohlbergs highest stage of moral reasoning involves
28. Which of the following claims does Chomsky make regarding language
Humans have an inborn knowledge
of all components of language.
Humans have an inborn mechanism
for sifting through the language
they hear and generating rules for
6. On a normal distribution of IQ test
scores, the average score would be
7. According to Howard Gardner,
intelligence consists of at least eight
distinct abilities. Which of the
following is NOT among Gardner's
distinct types of intelligence?
8. His stea
6. On a normal distribution of IQ test scores, the average score would be
7. According to Howard Gardner, intelligence consists of at least eight distinct abilities.
Which of the following is NOT among Gardner's distinct types of i
46. Research on infants raised in deprived institutions in Romania found that
early experiences had little impact
on later development.
a lack of physical contact can lead
to significant delays in cognitive,
physical, and socioemotional
Six-week-old Beck is lying in his crib and making a melodic sound that might be described as
an "ooooh." Beck is BEST thought of as currently
18. A "babble" is best defined as a _ sound.
Which is the BEST example of telegraphic speech?
"I would like you to hand me the
24. Dumbo and his Dad are at the zoo. "Look at those huge foots!" exclaims Dumbo, as
they watch an elephant in its cage.
Having a theory of mind indicates that an individual
a. understands the physiological workings of the brain.
b. can draw inferences.
c. understands that mental states exist and guide behavior.
d. can reason about abstract concepts.
35. Zola puts her toys
Dominant and recessive genes
1. Assume that blond hair is dominant and designated by the genetic
symbol B and red hair is recessive and designated by the genetic symbol
r. Using the parents described below, map out the 4 possible genetic
Which type of test is MOST apt to put an older adult at a disadvantage?
test of general knowledge
"speeded" (timed) test
test on arithmetic operations
13. If a 4-year-old can delay gratification, all of the following will occur