Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs
WASHINGTON, May 11, 2006 - A New Jersey inventor
today was awarded the grand prize in the International
Smart Gear Competition for a fishing gear innovation
that could save thousands of sharks a year from dying
Blue Shark Steaks
Shark oil barometer (Bermuda)
Capsules (anti-cancer, boost
immune system, etc)
SKIN FOR LEATHER CALLED SHAGREEN
SKIN FOR SANDPAPER
CARTILAGE AS JOINT NUTRIENT
FINNING FOR SOUP IN ORIENT ($50-$40
Slow metabolism; migrate long distances
Copulation in water just offshore; internal fert.
Only come on land to lay eggs (Oviparous; eggs laid
outside body & develop)
Highest point of beach
Same beach from which they hatched
~50 sp; brightly colored; small blunt head, scales, paddle tail
Yellow-bellied Sea Snake
Steve Irwin diced with death the day before he died when he was
nearly bitten by a venomous sea snake in an action scene for his ill-fated
Marne Geology Project
Depth of water
Substrate: muddy, sandy, rocky
Pacific O. largest & deepest
Atlantic O. larger than
Ind.O; similar depth
Indian O. - warmest
Arctic O. smallest &
Southern O. surrounds
Origin & Stru
I. 49 sp in N. America
B. Small bodies; long pointed bill
C. No webbed feet; long thin legs
Sex-Linked Traits Notes
Explain how sex-linked genes produce different inheritance patterns in males and
Explain why most sex-linked disorders are more common in males.
What does it mean to have a
Gene located on a sex chromos
Photosynthesis Quiz Answer Key
1.Why is photosynthesis important to animals? It produces the oxygen they need to breathe.
2.Photosynthesis primarily occurs in the chloroplast while cellular respiration takes place mainly
in the mitochondria.
Mitosis Review Answers
1. As a result of mitosis, each daughter cell receives an exact copy of all the chromosomes
present in the parent cell.
2. Mitosis is used for: a) growth b) repair c) maintenance.
3. Using the numbers, put the following steps of the
Homeostasis and Energy Quiz Answers
1. In order to maintain homeostasis, how would be the bodys respond if a person exercises and
their body temperature increases? Body temperature decreases
2. An organism maintains the stable conditions necessary for lif
Genetic Variation Notes
Describe how chromosome assortment during meiosis contributes to genetic variation.
Explain how crossing over contributes to genetic variation.
Compare and contrast mitosis and meiosis.
Sexual Reproduction Ge
Genes & DNA Notes
Describe Griffith's experiments and conclusion.
Describe Avery's experiments and conclusion.
Explain how experiments with viral DNA further supported Avery's conclusion.
Discovering Genetic Material
Griffiths Experimental Setup
Explain how the template mechanism is important in DNA replication.
Describe the process of DNA replication.
Watson & Crick
1950s What a time to discover DNA replication!
Credited with discovering the
template-mechanism of replication in
Cellular Respiration Review Answer Key
1. Heterotrophs are organisms that can consume other organisms for energy.
2. Which of the following is found inside the chloroplasts and contains chlorophyll? thylakoids
3. List some reasons why energy is required f
Cellular DNA Replication Review Answers
1. The exchange of segments of DNA between the members of a pair of chromosomes acts as a
source of variation within a species.
2. Label the following figure A. centromere
B. sister chromatids
During which phase(
Cell Transport Answer Key
1. Molecules that are too large to be moved through the membrane can be transported into the
cell by endocytosis.
Which type of transport allows particles to pass without the use of the cells energy?
Cell Structure and Function Answer Key
1.List the 3 principals of cell theory.
a) cells are the basic units of life
b) all living things are made of cells
c) all cells come from existing cells
2. Prokaryotic cells lack a nucleus but have genetic material.
Patterns of Inheritance Notes
1st to use experimental setup to study genetics
Bred pea plants and recorded results
Developed the particulate hypothesis
Parents pass on distinct factors (genes) to their offspring
These genes retain the same i
Meiosis Overview Important Notes
Meiosis results in 4 haploid gametes that are not all identical
Mitosis results in 2 diploid daughter cells
Meiosis takes place in two steps
Mitosis takes place in ONE step
Mendel and Meiosis!
Summarize the chromosome th
Inheritance and Traits Quiz Review Answers
1. Describe the following types of inheritance:
a. Autosomal Dominant: a disease found in every generation of a family- equal
in males and females
b. Autosomal Recessive: a disease that can skip generations of a
Genetics Test Review Ans Key
1. In Sexual Reproduction where do the offspring get their genetic information? From
2. What are the chances of having a male child? 50% female child? 50%
3. In Asexual Reproduction all of the offsprings genetic i
Genes vs. Expression Notes
The allele combination
Where E represents the allele for brown eyes and e represents the
allele for blue
The trait that is expressed in the individual
Example: The phenotype of the above gen
From DNA to Protein (Important Review Notes)
List two differences between DNA & RNA.
DNA is double stranded, RNA is single stranded
DNA: A pairs with T
RNA: A pairs with U
In RNA, a three-base sequence, or word, that codes for one amino a
Evolution Test Review Answers
1. Define Evolution. Generation to generation change in the proportion of different
inherited genes in a population that accounts for all the changes that have
transformed life over a long time.
What drives the process of
Ecosystems Quiz Answers
Food Web Diagram:
a.i.1. Phytoplankton n
a.i.4. Adelie Penguin
a.i.5. Crabeater Seal
a.i.6. King Penguin
a.i.7. Minke Whale
a.i.8. Leopard Seal
a.i.9. Killer Whale
Use the diagram to answer the question