Chapter 7 The Mass Media and the Political Agenda
1) High-tech politics refers to
A) a politics in which the behavior of citizens and policymakers is shaped by technology.
B) a proposal for direct democracy through the use of tel
Chapter 8 Political Parties
1) A political party is
A) less interested in winning elections than in particular public policy.
B) a group of people who agree on everything and organize annually to win elections.
C) a narrow intere
Chapter 4 Civil Liberties and Public Policy
1) Civil liberties are
A) freedoms that are not specified in the Constitution or in statutory laws, but make up the
B) the rights to vote and participate in the
Chapter 5 Civil Rights and Public Policy
1) Policies that extend basic rights to groups historically subject to discrimination are known as
A) civil rights.
B) civil liberties.
C) human rights.
E) affirmative action.
2) Civil rights
Chapter 6 Public Opinion and Political Action
1) The science of population changes is
E) the census.
2) The most valuable method for understanding demographic ch
Chapter 3 Federalism
1) The governments responses in the wake of Hurricane Katrina underscores
A) the neccesity of complying with the letter and the spirit of the Third Amendment.
B) the tensions between Congress and the president.
C) the ability of the U
The Federal Courts
Two types of cases:
Criminal Law: The government charges an individual with violating one or more specific laws.
Civil Law: The court resolves a dispute between two parties and defines the relationship
Most cases are tried
Chapter 1 Introducing Government in America
1) There is a tremendous gap between youth and the elderly in all of the following EXCEPT
A) political knowledge.
B) political participation.
C) political interest.
E) media use.
Chapter 2 The Constitution
1) Which of these is TRUE about the United States Constitution?
A) It centralizes political power.
B) It is superseded only by decrees of the president.
C) It sets neutral rules for the game of politics
Chapter 9 Nominations and Campaigns
1) A(n) _ is a partys official selection of a candidate to run for office.
2) In most advanced industrialized c