1) Which compound would be expected to show intense IR absorption at 3300 cm-1? A) CH3CCCH3 B) butane C) but-1-ene D) CH3CH2CCH Answer: D 2) Which compound would be expected to show intense IR absorption at 2820, 2710 and 1705 cm-1? A) CH3COCH2CH3 B) PhCO
Organic Chemistry, 6e (Wade) Chapter 13: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
4) How many nuclear spin states are allowed for the 1H nucleus? A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D) 4 E) 10 Answer: B Diff: 1 7) Electromagnetic radiation in the _ region is used in 1H NMR spe
Organic Chemistry, 6e (Wade) Chapter 14: Ethers, Epoxides, and Sulfides
6) Provide a structural representation of 2-ethoxypentane. Answer:
Diff: 1 7) Provide a structural representation of isopropyl tert-butyl ether. Answer: (CH3)2CHOC(CH3)3 Diff: 1 8) Pr
4) Consider the hydrogenation reaction of each compound listed and rank the compounds in order of increasing H of this reaction. The most negative H should be listed first. 2,5-dimethyl-1,3-cycloheptadiene, 1,4-dimethyl-1,3-cycloheptadiene, and 3,6-dimeth
3) What is suggested by the fact that benzene's molar heat of hydrogenation is 36 kcal less than three times the molar heat of hydrogenation of cyclohexene? Answer: This suggests that the type of bonding in benzene lends special stability to the molecule.
1) Draw the structure of N-ethyl-N-methyl-1-hexanamine. Answer:
8) Provide the systematic name for the compound below.
Answer: 4-aminocyclohexanone Diff: 2 9) Provide the systematic name for the compound below.
Answer: 2-bromo-N-methylaniline Di
1) Provide the major resonance structures of the intermediate sigma complex in the reaction of benzene with the generic electrophile E+. Answer:
Diff: 1 4) Provide a detailed, stepwise mechanism for the reaction of benzene with Br2 and FeBr3. Make sure to
1) Which of the following correctly describes the bond angle and hybridizations present in formaldehyde? A) C, sp2; O, sp3; HCO, ~120 B) C, sp2; O, sp2; HCO, ~120 C) C, sp2; O, sp2; HCO, ~109.5 D) C, sp3; O, sp2; HCO, ~109.5 E) C, sp3; O, sp3; HCO, ~109.5
4) Which of the following is the strongest acid? A) chloroacetic acid B) dichloroacetic acid C) trichloroacetic acid D) acetic acid Answer: C Diff: 2 5) Draw an acetic acid dimer. Be sure to indicate the hydrogen bonds present. Answer:
Diff: 2 6) At pH 4.
1) Which of the following is the most reactive carboxylic acid derivative? A) ester B) anhydride C) nitrile D) acid chloride E) amide Answer: D Diff: 1 2) N-Methylacetamide is an example of: A) a primary amide B) a secondary amide C) a tertiary amide D) a
1) Show how an enolate can add to a carbonyl. Answer:
Diff: 1 2) Provide a detailed, stepwise mechanism for the base-catalyzed enolization of acetaldehyde. Answer:
Diff: 1 3) Provide a detailed, stepwise mechanism for the acid-catalyzed enolization of ace