Good Preparation for discussion:
(a) Examine a few different types of amino acids
(a) Can you identify the functional groups on the amino acids?
(b) Can you identify the R group on the amino acid?
(b) Try drawing the basic backbone structure of an amino a
1. DNA: stands for Deoxyribonucleic acid and is double stranded and contains thymine and is
transcribed into RNA
RNA: stands for Ribonucleic acid and is single stranded. It also contains uracil as opposed to
Frequency and Time (in minutes)
Frequency and Duration (i
Discussion Week 6
1. Life: what separates organisms that can display at least a basic level of metabolism, growth,
and the ability to reproduce and respond to stimuli. If something doesn't have life it is dead or
1: What is
There are 2 forms going
Sign in Sheet
Write your real first and last name on the sign in
To help me get to know names to faces
Discussion is independent of your
1. Positive Regulation: means that the activity of the gene product increases. It's represented in a
diagram by a line with an arrow at the end.
2. Negative Regulation: when the activity of a gene product decreases. This
1. Polar: an asymmetric molecule with random positive and negative charges. A polar molecule
has a partial positive charge in one part of the molecule and complementary negative charge in
BIS 2A Discussion
1. Cell Membrane/ Plasma Membrane: the cell membrane is composed of many macromolecules
such as phospholipids, proteins, and carbohydrates. The main component is the bilayer that is
formed by phospholipids
1. Oxidation: is the loss of electrons during a reaction. The species that is oxidized is also called
the reducing agent, because it causes another chemical species to gain electrons.
2. Reduction: this is when a compoun