Motivation: Who Cares About I/O?
Storage System Issues
Lecture 6: Storage Devices,
Metrics, RAID, I/O Benchmarks,
CPU Performance: 60% per year
I/O system performance limited by mechanical delays
< 10% per year (IO per sec or MB pe
Designing to Last through Trends
2x in 3 years
2x in 3 years
DRAM 4x in 3 years
4x in 3 years
Caches and Advanced Pipelining
2x in 10 years
Computer Architecture Is
Cost/Performance, DLX, Pipelining,
Caches, Branch Prediction
the attributes of a [computing] system as seen
by the programmer, i.e., the conceptual
structure and functional behavior, as distinct
from the organization o
(1) (6) List at least 5 different addressing modes. Which addressing modes are used in
Load/Store machines? Why?
(2) (5) The book lists many Compiler Optimizations. List 5 of them.
(3) (10) What are Benchmarks, and why are they important? List the
True or False:
(1) The relative performance of two processors with the same instruction set architecture
(ISA) cannot be judged by clock rate or by the performance of a single benchmark suite.
(1) Benchmarks remain valid indefinitely.
(6) What are Benchmarks, and why are they important? List the 4 classes of benchmarks, give an example for each class, and tell me what the perfect benchmark would be.
(8) Convince me you understand Tomasulos algorithm. (In other words, explain wh