Due Monday, May 15th at start of class. (Make a copy to study from!)
1. (10) Creston Foods reported the following in its recent annual report (10-k).
ARE 171B Spring 2017
Last 4 digits Id:
Section A consists of 10 multiple choice questions worth 10 points each (130 points in all).
Section B consists of 3 problems worth 50 points each (150 points in all). Please show your work f
Trill!) WWC gph 20V?
la :0: mum-24000: E
where 900,000 Is the eostto place the new equipment in service
10,6(1) is thechange in networldngcapinl
and 24000isuseafl1ertaxsalvagevalueofthe oldequipment
Key homework 3, problem 5
5. Look up proposed merger or acquisition news related to the firms below. For each case, briefly
What is the current market cap, P/E ratio, EPS, and dividend per share of each firm? (some of
ARE 1713 Spring 20p?
Last 4 digits ID:
MIDTERMI M UMFQ
\MM M mu;
Section A consists of 13 multiple choice questions worth 10 points each.
Section B consists of 3 problems worth 40 points each. Please show your work for Jll credit. Ifyou can't
Due Wednesday, June 7h in class
1. Pavilion Foods balance sheet lists the following shareholder's equity:
Additional paid in capital
ARE 17113 Spring2017
Last 4 digits ID:
Section A consists of 13 multiple choice questions rth 10 points each.
Section B consists of 3 problems worth 40 points each. Please show your work for full credit. If you can't
solve one step of a problem, y
Quiz 5 Winter 2017
1) One firm previously operated as a monopoly. Now, one potential entrant exists. Consumers would
a) entry, and the firms to produce the Cournot output.
b) no entry, and for the existing firm to produce the Stackelberg leader out
1. Office Administration - My assistant and I are responsible to handle each task at the front
desk such as greeting customers, answering incoming calls, and confirming appointments
for executives. Also, we have the responsibility to organize and order in
Quiz 2 Winter 2017
1) A monopoly does not have a supply curve.
2) If a firm faces a downward sloping demand curve, it is a monopoly.
3) If the demand for a firm's output is perfectly elastic, then the firm's Lerner Index equals zero.
4) Marginal Revenue i
1. In the Duke Hospital case the doctor held _ power as the chief or manager of the pediatric care unit.
2. In the Duke Hospital case we saw the pressure from the insurance companies as an example _
why the change occurred.
3. From class, we n
Quiz 3 Spring 2016
1) If two markets have the same price elasticity of demand at every price, a monopoly will not practice
multimarket price discrimination.
2) For a theme park a two-part pricing strategy can include a positive admission price and a zero
Quiz 2 Spring 2016
3) If one would want to raise the same amount of revenue with either an ad valorem or per unit tax, a
per unit tax would introduce less of a distortion (DWL) in the market.
Quiz 3 Winter 2017
1) If a firm is a monopsonist in a local lab
1.Executive Summary- An executive summary, also known as management summary, is a short
document or section of the document, produced for business purposes, that summarizes a longer
report or proposal or a group of related reports in such a way that reade
Chapter 13- Game Theory
Game Theory A set of tools used by economics and others to analyze strategic decision-making.
Game An interaction between players in which players use strategies.
Strategy A battle plan that specifics that actions or moves that a p
Chapter 14 Oligopoly and Monopolistic Competition
Market Structures The number of firms, price, profits, and other properties of markets vary depending on
whether the market if monopolistic, oligopolistic, monopolistically competitive, or competitive.
Homework 4: Oligopoly
1. Suppose that a Stackelberg leader and a Stackelberg follower each have a constant marginal cost of c. Market
demand takes the form = .
a. What is the best response function of the Stackelberg follower?
Homework 5: Negative Externality
Consider a competitive market with inverse demand: () = 100 .
Production creates a negative externality (pollution). Supply is determined by private marginal
cost(which does not take into account
Fill in the blanks
1. The four types of ethics are:
2. From class we mentioned that when Lou was in the airplane, he exhibited
3. The two theories of discrimination are _
4. In class we mentioned that the clinical pathways wan an example of the
Homework 2: Pricing and Advertising
1. A monopolist has zero costs, including zero fixed costs and zero marginal costs. The monopolist
faces the following demand curve: = 100 2.
a. What is the monopolist's single-price profit-maxim
Quiz 7 Winter 2017
1) If a college degree works in signaling high ability to employers, the resulting equilibrium
a) will be a separating equilibrium.
b) will be a pooling equilibrium.
c) will be a prisoners dilemma.
d) will never be efficient.
2) The mar
Chapter 12: Pricing and Advertising
Uniform Pricing: charging the same price for every unit spend of a particular good.
Nonuniform Pricing: where a firm charges consumers different prices for the same product or charges a single customer a price that
Chapter 1- Introduction
Microeconomics: The Allocation of Scarce Resources
Microeconomics is the study of the allocation of scarce resources. Consumers, firms, and
governments must make allocation decisions. A society faces three key trade-offs; which goo
ARE 112 Midterm 2
1. From class we mentioned that at IBM when the hardware sales force did not follow up with the
software salesforce we had an example of:
b. two of the answers are correct
c. the component level
d. matrix m
Quiz 4 Winter 2016
2) Assuming Cournot behavior, the market output, the price of the output, and each firm's output all
decrease as the number of firms in a market increases.
3) If there are 2 identical firms in a market that choose the quantity they prod
1. The terms all persons of color and national origin were discussed in class under the topic of:
b. Exempt employees
c. Fair Labor Standards Act
d. More than one answer is correct
e. Protected classes
2. In class we saw the intern
Quiz 6 Winter 2017
1) Expected value represents
a) the actual payment one expects to receive.
b) the average of all payments one would receive if one undertook the risky event many times.
c) the payment one receives if he or she makes the correct decision
Quiz 6 Winter 2016
1) If a person is risk averse, then she has negative marginal utility of wealth.
2) A fair game is a game in which the chances are 50-50 that you win or lose.
3) If a person willingly plays an unfair game that is not in his favor, he mu
1. From our discussion on the IBM book, what did Lou mention was the most important component of a
business to be successful?
a. strategic thinking
b. organizational alignment
c. two of the topics were mention in the book as being the right mi