LINGUISTICS 1, WEB QUIZ #3 1. LISTEMES AND RULES 2. ARBITRARY RELATION BETWEEN FORM AND MEANING 3. NAMES FOR THINGS 4. BOUND ROOTS 5. DERIVATION AND INFLECTION I 6. DERIVATION AND INFLECTION II 7. WORD STRUCTURE TREES 8. USING WORD STRUCTURE TO MAKE JOKES
March 1, 2016
Topics for Animal Communciation
1. Pinkers typology of animal communication systems
2. Comparing human language with animal communication
3. (Brief survey)
4. Ape language experiments
5. Can apes learn a
LINGUISTICS 1, WEB QUIZ #5
1. WHY ARE LANGUAGES DIVERSE?
2. POSSIBLE AND IMPOSSIBLE LANGUAGE CHANGES
3. CHANGES IN SOUNDS OVER TIME I
4. CHANGES IN SOUNDS OVER TIME II
5. WHAT IS (GENETIC) RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LANGUAGES?
6. REGULAR SOUND CORRESONDENCES I
February 10, 2016
Class 6 Summary: Language Change
Quiz 5 due Thursday at 6pm.
Essay 5 due Friday by midnight.
Sign up for a final exam time if you havent already!
Now that weve covered just about everything youll need to k
Animal Communication Parts 1 & 2
First Signs of Washoe
Topics for Animal Communication
1. Pinkers typology of animal communication systems: fixed
calls, analog, variations on a theme
2. Parameters for comparing human lan
March 2, 2016
Class 9 Summary: Animal communication
Quiz 7 due Thursday
Assignment 7 due Friday
Please note: Frannys OH this week changed to R 2-4
Final paper due in less than two weeks. Hows it going?
GUIDE TO USING DISCUSSION PPT PRESENTATION
8 ANIMAL COMMUNICATION AND LANGUAGE EXPERIMENTS WITH APES
1. Pinkers typology of animal communication systems:
variations on a theme
fixed calls, analog,
Slide 3: List of Pinkers typology of animal communication
LINGUISTICS 1, WEB QUIZ #1
Web assignment questions:
1. WHAT IS A "LINGUIST"?
2. LANGUAGE AS AN "INSTINCT
3. LANGUAGE AS PART OF PHYSICAL BIOLOGY
4. EQUIVALENCE OF EXPRESSIVE POWER
5. TWO USES OF THE WORD "GRAMMAR"
6. DID HUMANS "INVENT" LANGUAGE?
Score: _ out of 9 (= 18 points 2)
LINGUISTICS 1: ASSIGNMENT 1
To do this assignment, you should have read Chapters 1-3 of The Language Instinct
and seen the film Discovering the Human Language. Be concise in your answers.
If you use
Introduction to Study of Language
Professor Russell Schuh
ESSAY KEY: LESSON 1 INTRODUCTION
vi y re
Essay answers should be no more than 150 words. Please double-space answ
Today Tue 18 Sep
argument, proof, into
Galileo on falling bodies
Searle on intelligent
Tue 11 Sep, Thu 13 Sep
arguments, proofs, into
LING 101 Languages of the
Whats a Dialect?
The Complete Story of Human Language
Language of the week will be.
At home: please review the syllabus!
CELLPHONE and LAPTOPS must be turned OFF now Todays slides will be
LINGUISTICS 1 FINAL TERM PAPER
English still beats me Down
Spanish is my first language in which I learned it not by going to school but by hearing
others around me speak that language; in which my brain was able to pickup an